Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099R

cwdina23
Level 1

Completed a 1099 R input with distribution code 7D with gross distribution significantly greater than taxable amount.  All dollar inputs were correct, but inadvertently checked "IRA".  That error resulted in the gross distribution amount overriding the taxable amount.  No error indicator appeared and the error was discovered when the return was printed.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

of course no 'error indicator' appeared...…….be hard for the software to 'know' you didn't mean to check IRA.

I'm assuming you have already filed the return... so your only option is to Amend... and paper mail the 1040X with the correction.  Good luck with that, as the IRS is not really accepting paper returns at the moment I don't think.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
BobKamman
Level 15

@dd4vols "be hard for the software to 'know' you didn't mean to check IRA."

Is it ever possible to have the "D" code, which means "non-qualified annuity", with an IRA?

Or possible, but highly unlikely?

The question is how many dumb mistakes should the software protect us from.  "If D but IRA then ask" is not difficult to program, but it's probably not needed for more than one out of 10,000 users.  

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Did you e-file it before you printed it and had the taxpayer approve it?

That's a no-no.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.