Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099K - Go Fund Me

susanWI
Level 1

My client's brother had a fire that totally burned his house right before Christmas. My client started a Go Fund Me account for him and it raised over $78,000.

So, my client received a 1099-K because she set up the account with her name, info & SS. All money received went to her brother and his family.

I'm having a hard time finding any info on the IRS site regarding this.

How do I report this?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RollTide68
Level 8

Just a suggestion:

Fill out the 1099-K as other income and at the bottom of the worksheet you can make an adjustment equal to the amount on the 1099-K.  Effectively zero'ing out the income.  it will flow to the other income section under 1099-K income.

Add a Miscellaneous Statement form and explain your rational for the adjustment (gifting)

my $0.02

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
RollTide68
Level 8

Good article that may give you some insight.

https://www.thebalance.com/do-you-have-to-pay-taxes-on-crowdfunded-money-4773839

TLDR:  If the intent was to give the money to the brother (and did) and the money collected was considered gifts from the donors it may not be taxable.

IRS is grey on this area

susanWI
Level 1

Great article! Thanks!

Would I enter the 1099K then follow it with a negative of the amount to zero it out? Do thye have to paper file with an explanation?

0 Cheers
RollTide68
Level 8

Just a suggestion:

Fill out the 1099-K as other income and at the bottom of the worksheet you can make an adjustment equal to the amount on the 1099-K.  Effectively zero'ing out the income.  it will flow to the other income section under 1099-K income.

Add a Miscellaneous Statement form and explain your rational for the adjustment (gifting)

my $0.02

BobKamman
Level 15

Since it's a nominee distribution, she could give a 1099-K to her brother.  

Not the best solution, but not any worse than the "add it back in and subtract it back out" method.  I often wonder if that raises more eyebrows at IRS than just omitting excluded income in the first place.  

When I hear stories about IRS auditors asking taxpayers for a copy of their return because they don't have it available themselves, I don't put much faith in attached statements.  But if you are going to attach an explanation, just do it without a line entry.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

Individuals use 1099-M, not 1099-K. K is for Payment Settlement agents.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers