Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-S given to a contractor

Greta
Level 9

Contractor bought a rundown property, fixed it up, and sold it. I would like to include it in his Sch C. Would I then first "wash" the 1099-S slip through Sch D?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

I know that if an individual gets a 1099-S and if it is not shown on Sch D or 4797 the taxpayer will get a notice saying you didn't report this.

At least I'm pretty sure I know this from back in the days when I believed my clients when they told me they didn't get a 1099-S when they sold their house. They got those notices. I'm older and wiser now. 

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

That would avoid a matching notice.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

There are those who believe that a return showing a milion dollars of positive cash receipts is more likely to be selected for audit than one showing half that much.  I'm glad you know what IRS does, because I don't.  All I know is what employees are told to do by the Internal Revenue Manual:

Real Estate Transactions Miscellaneous
  1. If there is a Schedule C or C-EZ (TY 2018 and prior) attached to the return and the principal business is listed as real estate broker, real estate sales, building, construction, or remodeling; or the principal business activity code indicates related business, for example, 233200, 238160, 238900, 531210, etc., consider REAL amount(s) fully reported when:

1. Gross Receipts on Schedule C or C-EZ (TY 2018 and prior) are larger than the REAL amount(s),

2. The TP reports the exact amount of the IR(s) on Schedule C, line 6, C-EZ, line 1 (TY 2018 and prior), or

3. The TP includes the REAL on an attachment.

sjrcpa
Level 15

What's REAL?

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

I know that if an individual gets a 1099-S and if it is not shown on Sch D or 4797 the taxpayer will get a notice saying you didn't report this.

At least I'm pretty sure I know this from back in the days when I believed my clients when they told me they didn't get a 1099-S when they sold their house. They got those notices. I'm older and wiser now. 

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I'm older and wiser now."

I'm impressed since I went the route of being older and dummer now?😉

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

4.19.3.8.25 (12-26-2007)
Real Estate Transactions - General
Real estate transactions are identified on the Case Analysis screen by the literal "1099S" in the DOC TYPE field and the literal "REAL" in the INCOME TYPE field.