Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-NEC

Havinfunone
Level 3

I have a client that received a 1099-NEC for $300. That is below the required $600 required limit. It is also below the $400 reporting limit. They have no other income that would og with this form. Do I need to enter it just because they received a 1099-NEC?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
all income needs to be reported, no SE taxes kick in until youre over the $400 mark, so for only $300 if you enter it as Sch C or as Other Income the tax will be the same.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So they have no other income at all?  If their only income is $300, they dont have a filing requirement.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"They have no other income that would og with this form"

And no expenses, and no need to file for the EIP refundable credits? Because "refundable credit" = Money Back, if they qualify.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Havinfunone
Level 3

No, they have other taxable income and even have another Schedule C but the other NEC income is the spouses and is in a totally different industry.

0 Cheers
Havinfunone
Level 3

Adding the $300 NEC actually lowers their refund by $201

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

All income is reportable, whether a 1099 is received for it or not.

Ex-AllStar
Havinfunone
Level 3

I thought you did not need to report self-employment income until it hit $400. Has that changed?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
all income needs to be reported, no SE taxes kick in until youre over the $400 mark, so for only $300 if you enter it as Sch C or as Other Income the tax will be the same.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I thought you did not need to report self-employment income until it hit $400."

Even if they never got a 1099, it would be reported because they got taxable income.

"no SE taxes kick in until youre over the $400 mark"

Once you enter everything that applies, the amount that flowed into the Schedule SE then is evaluated: "if that is less than $400, stop; you don’t owe self-employment tax."

You won't know until you fill in everything.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Havinfunone
Level 3

Thank you.

0 Cheers