Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-NEC Non-employee Stock Options - where/how do I link it to Sch. D/8949

DeveraC
Level 3

I have a client who was a nonemployee director of a bank. He is no longer there and exercised/cashed in his stock options with the bank. He originally received a W2 with the options, but when we informed the bank as a reminder he was never an employee with them, the reversed the W2 and then issued him a 1099-NEC with the profit of the stock options ($282k.)

How to link the 1099- NEC to the Sch. D/8949, as the only links are for Sch. C, Sch. F, Other Income, or Wages on the 1040? He was not issued a 1099-B, but I have the information to enter the sale of the stock. 

Surely this amount doesn't go to a Sch C??? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

25 Comments 25
dkh
Level 15

Link it to the Sched C  then enter an offsetting expense for same amount  with explanation income is stock options being reported on Schedule D       Then proceed with your Sch D/8949

Ignore this - I obviously didnt know how this should be reported  - sorry

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive never seen this, but thinking it through.....well hes got to pay the tax on the value of the options, just like if it were wages on a W2, right? So it would go on Sch C, then hed use that amount as the basis for the stock sale.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
so its all free money?

0 Cheers
DeveraC
Level 3

But, you don't pay SS/Medicare on stock options, right? If I only used his cost basis as the expenses, he would have to pay those taxes on his profit. That doesn't seem right.

0 Cheers
DeveraC
Level 3

Think this would be okay and not raise a red flag?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Maybe it should have been on a W2 then it would flow through as federal taxable but not subject to SE taxes

dkh
Level 15

link the 1099NEC to Other Income line    - client would pay tax as required  but no SE tax

DeveraC
Level 3

But he was never an employee for the company. Everything I've read on the IRS pubs stated it should have been reported on the 1099-NEC, but it doesn't tell me how to report that on his return. The amount on his 1099-NEC is the proceeds from the stock options which I need to report on D/8949.

0 Cheers
DeveraC
Level 3

So then don't write the full amount off in the Sch C as you stated before? Oh my goodness this is so confusing. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Hes gotta pay taxes on the value, shouldnt be subject to SE taxes though, so linking the NEC to Other Income would seem like the simplest way to do this.

0 Cheers
DeveraC
Level 3

Right - I agree that he has to pay taxes on the value of the profits. But he has a huge carryforward of loss from previous stocks. We were hoping to be able to offset the stock options with these losses. So, would it be okay for me to use stock options expenses on the Sch. C. and then report the sale on the Schedule D showing the profit? Then his long-term losses would offset the profit?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The options he received, exercised and sold are taxable compensation equal to the excess of the value over the amount he paid for them, if anything..

I don't see why it wouldn't be subject to SE tax. If he was an employee it would be W-2 compensation subject to SS & Medicare tax.

His capital gain or loss equals the sale price minus the taxable compensation minus what he paid.

Ex-AllStar
DeveraC
Level 3

But he was never an employee so it's not the same, right? Could I report it as Sch C., then 100% expense stating as reported on Sch. D. Then, report the full amount as profit on the 8949/Sch. D? He has a huge carry forward loss in capital gains which would help offset the profit. 

Or no, this isnt the way?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

His director fees were subject to SE tax. This is part of his director compensation.

There is no expense to put on Sch C.

Schedule D will have a small gain or loss.

Ex-AllStar
DeveraC
Level 3

So these stock options have to be reported on sch c with 100% subject to FICA???

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

As far as  I know, yes.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

what did the W2 look like?  Were they subject to SS/Mdcr on the W2?

qbteachmt
Level 15

Is this what you need:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc427

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Obviously we don't have any details so we can't "do the math" on this.  But I completely agree with this line of thinking.  The directors fees were subject to SE tax, this is just a different form of compensation so it should also be subject to SE tax.

In my career I've seen enough equity compensation screwed up that I don't take anyone's word for it.  Get the documents, follow the math.  Look at each transaction.  Options were granted, how many what strike price?  Options were exercised, were there broker fees, was this cashless or did he pay the strike price?  Stock was sold, was it a same-day sale, were there broker fees?  Follow your share counts through the process.

DeveraC
Level 3

I had read this, but it reads to me as if he was an employee, which he was not.

0 Cheers
DeveraC
Level 3

No, but they reversed the w2 when they realized he was not an employee.

0 Cheers
DeveraC
Level 3

So I get the part for schedule D. What do I link the $282k from the 1099-nec to? To sch. C w/ all the amount taxable for Fica/fed/state or to Other Income,

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd do Sch C.

Ex-AllStar
DeveraC
Level 3

Crap. My client is not going to be happy at all. 

0 Cheers
debiafa
Level 1

Have a tax client with same situation but was an employee, some added to W2 and received the final shares on a 1099nec.

Did you report on Sch C with SE tax and then use the schedule D? 

0 Cheers