Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-B Fields Too Small for Stock Transactions

ShawnCA
Level 3

For 2019, I was able to input total STCG and LTCG numbers directly on the Sch D Entry Table, then attached a detail statement of the transactions.  The entry table fields allowed 9 characters.

For 2020, I do not see the same entry table.  Instead, I am directed to Form 1099-B Worksheet.  No problem, except the fields in the quick entry table only accept 7 characters, and I need 10.  Am I supposed to divide the $2B+ total sales and cost figures into little chunks in order to fill this out?  Or are there other options?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

" Am I supposed to divide the $2B+ total sales and cost figures into little chunks in order to fill this out?  Or are there other options?"

You could paper file.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes you have to divide into smaller chunks.

Ex-AllStar
ShawnCA
Level 3

I am paper filing.  The fields are too small

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

What's wrong with dividing it into smaller amounts?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
ShawnCA
Level 3

No problem splitting into small chunks.  However, since the fields are only 7 digits max, and I have about $2B in sales to report, I would have to make >200 separate entries.  There has to be a simpler way?

I could override, I suppose, but things never flow correctly when you do that.  And they definitely won't transfer properly to the state return.

Any suggestions?

0 Cheers
ShawnCA
Level 3

I think I may have figured it out.  If I click on the fields on the 1099-B to go to a more detailed worksheet, there I can enter 9 digits!

qbteachmt
Level 15

There has been another topic started for the same issue, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/problems-with-field-con...

I guess you could consider it Part 2. They could both be together, here, but now they are split.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
wgs2
Level 2

You have to double-click and then create an adjustments worksheet.  On the worksheet there is a bold note than says you can use 9 digits here for proceeds or cost.

0 Cheers