Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1065 K-1 State of Colorado Non-resident Partner

Rindys Tax
Level 2

On the 1065 state return for Colorado, I am filing in the information for a partner that is a non-resident of Colorado. It is asking about a composite filing or need to file DR107 or DR108? I researched and I believe that none of these apply. It is a Non-resident partner, each of these forms says that the partnership will pay the tax. It should be paid by the partner on their individual tax return. Right? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Unless some exception applies I believe you will find that the partnership either needs to file a composite return and pay CO tax on behalf of the nonresident partners or withhold CO tax for the nonresidents. I go with the composite return since CO makes this easy.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Unless some exception applies I believe you will find that the partnership either needs to file a composite return and pay CO tax on behalf of the nonresident partners or withhold CO tax for the nonresidents. I go with the composite return since CO makes this easy.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Rindys Tax
Level 2

I have filed this clients return before but with a different software. I have never been asked this before. So this information doesn't flow to the K-1 for each partner?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Whether a composite return is filed or tax was withheld should be disclosed on their CO K-1. I don't know if ProSeries does it automatically or if you need to enter it manually.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers