Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1042 S

taxes---taxes
Level 3

Client is a dual resident of the US and Canada (Canadian citizen, US resident). Resided in Canada for close to 15 years. His company is incorporated in Canada. He is a truck driver who crosses the border weekly. Did a few jobs for a US company and he was issued a 1042-S using his US social security # but in the name of his Canadian (incorporated) company. What should the general approach be here?   

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

You might want to start by obtaining the certification form your taxpayer provided to the US entity (i.e., W-8 or W-9).  That might help you understand why the US entity issued the Form 1042-S the way they did.

0 Cheers
taxes---taxes
Level 3

Doesn't appear to be a W-9 as he never received a 1099. Boxes 7 and 10 are both '0' on the 1042-S and my understanding is that if this is the case, then the form is just for informational purposes only. New territory for me so just seeking a bit of old fashion guidance on how to approach with the client. 

0 Cheers