Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1041: HOW TO REPORT 1099R THAT HAS A LOWER TAXABLE AMOUNT THAN BOX 1 WHAT DOES CODE D 2 MEAN?

MiJoMo01
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MiJoMo01
Level 2

Yes, that is what I finally did.  Remember, the 1041 Estate and Trust Form does not show a 1099R in the forms selection.  I finally had to manually hack it by putting in the amount of reduction between box 1 and box 2 as a negative figure in the "Other income" input line 8, and then line the reduced amount shows up in the right-side income on line 8

Thanks for your response.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
qbteachmt
Level 15

Here is a Help article, with Codes:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/proseries-form-1099-r-faq-s/00/4853

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Use the amount in the Taxable Income box.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Accountant-Man
Level 12

I report both in Other Income, line 8. i.e.,

Gross distribution           $10,000

Less non taxable portion $-9,000

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

If that code means this is from an annuity, there likely is basis or costs that explain the gross vs taxable difference.

More details always help.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
MiJoMo01
Level 2

Yes, that is what I finally did.  Remember, the 1041 Estate and Trust Form does not show a 1099R in the forms selection.  I finally had to manually hack it by putting in the amount of reduction between box 1 and box 2 as a negative figure in the "Other income" input line 8, and then line the reduced amount shows up in the right-side income on line 8

Thanks for your response.

0 Cheers
MiJoMo01
Level 2

I also put Code D - 2 on Line 8 to distinguish the character of the distribution.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

That Code D also indicates this is subject to Net Investment Income tax so take that into consideration for Form 8960 and/or K-1s

Ex-AllStar