Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040X when 1040 was not prepared by me

lyndaj0331
Level 4

I need to prepare a 1040X for a new client for 2018 and 2019.  I did not prepare either original return.  I had found articles on this before, but now cannot find them.

Thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You need to recreate the return exactly the same as the original....then open the 1040X and input the year at the top, if a state is involved, go to the state return and activate the amended form for that state as well...then go back and make the changes that youre amending for.

This should put the original figures in the original column, and the corrected figures in the corrected column of the 1040X

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You need to recreate the return exactly the same as the original....then open the 1040X and input the year at the top, if a state is involved, go to the state return and activate the amended form for that state as well...then go back and make the changes that youre amending for.

This should put the original figures in the original column, and the corrected figures in the corrected column of the 1040X

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
lyndaj0331
Level 4

THANK YOU!

robyn2610
Level 1

I wanted to electronically file the amended return not prepared by me.  The program will not allow for that.  Is there a work around?

0 Cheers