Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040X efiling

majekman
Level 2

I am trying to efile an amended return for 2019, this tax filing year. The amended return is giving me an error that I can't efile the amendment until the original efiled return has been accepted. It has. How do I enter the original efile information into the amended return so that it will allow me to efile the amendment?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

22 Comments 22
TAXOH
Level 11

If you didn't e-file the original you can't efile the amended return. 

dkh
Level 15

Was the original returned prepared/efiled with ProSeries?   If not, you cannot efile the amended with ProSeries.

dkh
Level 15

Pitch, poke, you owe me a Coke.    Well.... we didn't say the exact same thing but close.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Pitch, poke, you owe me a Coke"

Hey, if we are getting paid in Cokes these day, where do I enlist?  I'll Even change my name to COkeMaN if it will help.  

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

I'd take payment in Dr Pepper and chocolate.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I was a Dr Pepper person for years but somewhere along the way I made the switch to Coke.  But I have always been willing to work for chocolate. 

Slava Ukraini!
majekman
Level 2

Yes it was.

0 Cheers
majekman
Level 2

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I prepared the amendment using the old Proseries guidelines, not a big deal to delete that file and do it over the right way.

Kim Possible
Level 1

I'm trying to efile a 1040X for 2019.  I keep getting an error that the original needed to be efiled, and it was and accepted.  Help!  I really do not want to paper file.  The IRS has been terrible with processing paper returns.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Was the original return efiled using ProSeries?  If not, you can't use PS to efile the amended return - it's a (stupid, IMHO) Intuit rule.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

@Kim Possible 

Also, you missed the efile deadline.  Individual efile shut down on 11/21/20.  It usually opens back up around the third week of January but a specific date has not yet been announced.

Johnl777
Level 3

I efiled the original and got acceptance. I get the same 1040X error message on all 2019 returns, and all were efiled  and accepted. Was there a fix for that?

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

I did and it is acknowledged in my program but I still get this error.

I made a copy, named it 1040X, made all the necessary adjustment in the return, changed to current date for pin entered, Checked file amended return on the client information page, corrected the duplicate ssn error.

Whether I check the file federal electronically or not I still get the error. I cannot figure out the problem.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Hugga Pepsi.

(IDK why, but we said this, too.)

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think making a copy is the problem. I think you have to use the original file.

Ex-AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

Guess you didn't read the full post

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

That is not the normal procedure for preparing an amended return.  If I use the original file, I lose the information as filed.

I took you  advice and used the original file. It worked.  You would think PS would be could consistant.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

okay I will try that.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

If you are here to help, I totally appreciate you. If you are here just to joke please don't waste my time. I need answers, not humor.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

johnny

I followed sjrcpa's advise and made the adjustments to the original file.

open original, select 1040x form, make needed changes, on info worksheet scroll down and change the PIN date to current date, check file amended box, review, save and efile.

good luck

0 Cheers
Johnl777
Level 3

Finally got mine to work. Made copy of original return 1st and renamed it Orig. Then went back to original return that was efiled, checked the box to efile the 1040X and all was good. Key: have to efile the 1040X on same as orign return was efiled. So different than in prior years. The help instructions were good... just should have read them thoroughly first. Thanks for everyone's help.