Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040-X

auntiewild701
Level 1

I am trying to file an amended return for a person for whom I did not prepare the original return.  She wanted to save a few bucks and went to Credit Karma.  She did not file a Schedule D with her return

How do I enter this?  She has an existing file.  Do I need to re-enter all of the information, or can I just do a 1040 X showing the changes?

Can I file the Amended Return online if I did not file the original return?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can't Efile an amended return for a return YOU didn't Efile the original.   

Its just not an option using ProSeries,

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Accountant-Man
Level 12

How to enter: Enter and complete the 1040 as originally filed. Save. (I usually call the file name1234_amended.19i, but you didn't prepare the original.)

AFTER saving, also do the state. Save.

THEN go to the 1040X and click the box for amending 2019. Then go to state and do the same.

Then go back to the federal and make your changes. See 1040X and it should be filled in. Also state.

Save. You cannot e-file the 1040X since you didn't e-file the original.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
itonewbie
Level 15

@auntiewild701  In case you ask why you can't e-file 1040X for 2019 returns not previously e-filed by you (and you wouldn't be the first one), it's not an IRS restriction but by Intuit's own software limitation.

There are other tax products out there that can e-file 2019 1040X regardless of whether it was previously e-filed with their own programs but this is just not possible with Intuit's professional tax products.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
treasur2
Level 3

It also seems to not be possible with TurboTax.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Correct, you cant Efile an amended with TT.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
treasur2
Level 3

ok, so here's the million dollar question for you (and other high level contributors).

itonewbie, above my comment was bold enough to indicate that other software vendors allow this type of filing to be accomplished.

Do you risk your standing if you tell one or more that do? I understand the politics. Just a little (more than) frustrated (irritated) that my product of 12 years...does not.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's not political.  When Intuit announced the feature, a number of folks complained about the limitations that Intuit was instituting.  I believe the response was something to the effect of "we'll check into that and get back to you."  We are still waiting for them to get back to us.  Intuit believes in that old motto "silence is golden".

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

@treasur2 That is public information and should be no secret.

See Q5: https://support.taxslayerpro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053794133-FAQ-for-E-Filing-Form-1040X-Amended-...

See "Amending a federal return that you did NOT originally prepare": https://kb.drakesoftware.com/Site/Browse/16841/1040-Generating-an-Amended-Return-Drake19

Not 100% certain about CCH but it seems like they don't have any restriction either: https://support.cch.com/kb/solution/000093877

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar