Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040 ITIN

CECILIAXYZ
Level 1

I NEED HELP!!!

I HAVE A CLIENT WITH ITIN NUMBER, SHE HAVE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER IN HER W2 FORM, MY QUESTION IS, HOW I CAN DO THIS TWO NUMBERS MATCH  IN THE FORM?

I TYPE HER ITN NUMBER IN THE INFORMATION WORKSHEET, BUT NOT MATCH WITH THE NUMBER WITH HER W2 FORM.

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FILL HER RETURN 😞

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

16 Comments 16
sjrcpa
Level 15

. Ask her why/how is there a SSN on her W-2? Whose is it?

The return will probably need to be filed on paper.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Many years ago we could Efile a return with an ITIN and a bogus SSN on a W2, IRS was attempting to cross match these types of situations up, but if its giving you an error, sounds like you'll need to paper file.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

It could also be that she gave you the ITIN she had before she was issued an SSN.  So long as she was authorized to work, she should have an SSN and the card will notate that employment is not permitted unless authorized (or something to that effect - can't remember the exact verbiage).  Her employer would be obliged to use that for W-2 reporting.

May want to double check with her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You can efile, from the IRS. this became effective in 2013

Filing with an ITIN --
• The IRS issues ITINs for federal tax purposes, and ITINs should be used for tax reporting only. 
• ITINs do not authorize a person to work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits.
• Tax returns filed with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number reporting wages paid are required to show the Social Security Number under which the wages were earned.  This creates an identification number (ITIN/SSN) mismatch.  In the past, returns with this mismatch could only be filed on paper.  Due to programming changes the IRS' e-file system can now accept these returns.  The taxpayer's correct ITIN should be used as the identifying number at the top of Form 1040.  When inputting W-2 information, the SSN should be entered exactly as shown on the Form W-2 issued by the employer.  It is now possible to e-file a return with an ITIN/SSN mismatch.  
• If a primary taxpayer, spouse, or both have ITINs, they are ineligible to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), even if their dependents have valid SSNs.  If the taxpayer and spouse (if filing jointly) have valid SSNs, only dependents with valid SSNs – not ITINs – qualify to receive EITC.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Terry53029 wrote:

Filing with an ITIN --

• Tax returns filed with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number reporting wages paid are required to show the Social Security Number under which the wages were earned.  This creates an identification number (ITIN/SSN) mismatch.  In the past, returns with this mismatch could only be filed on paper.  Due to programming changes the IRS' e-file system can now accept these returns.  The taxpayer's correct ITIN should be used as the identifying number at the top of Form 1040.  When inputting W-2 information, the SSN should be entered exactly as shown on the Form W-2 issued by the employer.  It is now possible to e-file a return with an ITIN/SSN mismatch.  

This is what Im remembering, I just haven't have it happen in a long time, thought maybe it changed.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@Terry53029 wrote:

Filing with an ITIN --
• The IRS issues ITINs for federal tax purposes, and ITINs should be used for tax reporting only. 
• ITINs do not authorize a person to work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits.
• If a primary taxpayer, spouse, or both have ITINs, they are ineligible to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), even if their dependents have valid SSNs.  If the taxpayer and spouse (if filing jointly) have valid SSNs, only dependents with valid SSNs – not ITINs – qualify to receive EITC.

@Terry53029 is 100% correct. I have many ITIN returns and that is exactly what you do to efile. 

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@garman22  so do you just turn off error checking at conversion to be able to efile those?

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

@garman22  so do you just turn off error checking at conversion to be able to efile those?

No, at bottom of W-2 worksheet, I show the SS# exactly as shown on W-2. That will allow efile.

mtmagiv
Level 1

what if the person has a ITIN #and the W2 they have says applied for in the box where the SSN  is supposed to be, can the return be Efiled? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

What happens when you try?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
mtmagiv
Level 1

When I go to efile it takes me back and ask for a SSN in the W2 box, but there is no number as they only have a ITIN,   but there company gives them a W2

0 Cheers
mtmagiv
Level 1

When I go to efile it takes me back and ask for a SSN in the W2 box

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If you follow the posts above, the W-2 must have an SSN.  My understanding is that these are most likely illegally aliens using fictitious or, someone's, stolen SSNs.

Given there's a notation that it's been applied for, you may like to check with your client whether that is indeed the correct status.  If so, the withholding is probably in a pool under the employer's account, waiting to be allocated.  In that case, you should extend the return, pending the issuance of the SSN, so that the employer can issue a proper W-2 with the correct SSN.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers

The situation is that I input the ITIN and under the fiels appears "invalid value" in red. All the rest explanations I know. Please address me as Mr. Stimulus. I will like to know the reason for this is Proconnect.

1. Where do you inpute the ITIN?

ANSWER: Client information, social security #

If you have questions please reply.

ceo
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Please address me as Mr. Stimulus. I will like to know the reason for this is Proconnect."

@Carlos-Olivencia 

You posted in a ProSeries topic from last year. I recommend starting your own topic, and selecting the specific software you are using.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.