Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040- Filing with full payment including interest

sawas25
Level 3

I am having difficulty deciphering how to input an 1040 return whom had an amount due but paid nothing in with their extension and now wants to pay the full balance due including interest when we efile. I can only show the amount due on 7/15 and a 1040 V being sent in for the remaining interest. Any idea to have that full balance paid? Thank you. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Several people have mentioned this in the past few weeks, so it must be an issue.   

I guess you could make an electronic payment on IRS DirectPay, it will let you pay any amount youd like.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sawas25
Level 3

Oh wow, very unfortunate to hear that and they were not able to make a update to fix that especially since others have had same issue. Thanks for the response. 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Personally, I tell clients to just wait until the IRS sends them a bill for the interest.  That way you don't need to calculate interest (which is compounded Daily, so it depends on the exact date that the money is received by the IRS).

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Me too, honestly I thought thats what most preparers do, but Ive seen multiple complaints like this one recently...I guess it was able to be done in prior years.

0 Cheers
scott2
Level 2

Just feels inadequate is all, to tell a client to pay this electronically then sit and wait for a bill to be MAILED for the interest. It is 2020 , I mean what is the problem, seems like a easy fix to me to allow clients to remit full amount due. What a letdown. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
2020 has been a mess, just make the payment on IRS DirectPay, easy peasy.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Go to the 1040 final line where tax due is shown. Click the button to the penalties and interest worksheet.  Complete it.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
TNCPA
Level 1

The issue isn't the penalty and interest calculation .  .it's the fact that the automatic withdrawal of balance due will ONLY allow the TAX due, not the tax, plus the penalties and interest . . . . . in prior years (I've used Pro-Series for 17 years), it has always allowed both tax and penalty/interest to be paid.   It has an "error" if you enter more than the TAX amount in the e-pay line 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Right. Im guessing something got screwed up when the reprogrammed for the July 15th due date....its been sent to development to make sure its fixed in the 2020 tax program.

0 Cheers