Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random emails from [QuickBooksSupport]

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

Hi Everybody,

On 11/30/22 I received two random emails from [QuickBooksSupport at Intuit dot com]

Never have I purchased or used Quick Books software. Never ever.

The emails list the Subject as: License Information. The body of the email contains all of the ProSeries tax software that I have purchased from 2006 thru the present with the product description, license number, and product ID for each product for each year.

At the bottom there is a statement that reads:

We sent you this email because we received a request from you or someone at your company for your QuickBooks license information. If no one from your company requested this information, please contact us. If you need to download QuickBooks, visit the QuickBooks Support Site.

Thanks for being an Intuit customer!

You have received this business communication as part of our efforts to fulfill your request or service your account. You may receive this and other business communications from us even if you have opted out of marketing messages.

If you receive an e-mail message that appears to come from Intuit but that you suspect is a phishing e-mail, please forward it immediately to [email address removed] . Please visit http://security.intuit.com/ for additional security information.

Please note: This e-mail was sent from an auto-notification system that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

© 2013 Intuit Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

So, is this just a lame marketing attempt or something more sinister?

0 Cheers
16 Comments 16
qbteachmt
Level 15

I see the security link is using http and not https. I see the date for the screen is 2013. Let me go ask for all my info and I'll let you know what it looks like. Do not click any of those links, or any attachment, in the meantime.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

Huh, I can't even get it to send the data dump. "Something went wrong."

Was anyone from the office on the phone with Intuit regarding prior year licenses? I found a long topic on the QB forum about a bunch of spoofed email with charges such as Geek Squad anti-virus, but not containing your real license and product info. That seems scary, if not legitimately initiated from your end.

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

The 2 emails came one minute apart. Both emails begin the same:

Dear "MY FIRST AND LAST NAME",

Thanks for contacting us about your license information. Here it is:

Company Name

Product Description

License Number

Product ID

Then there are 35 rows of information spanning the past 16 years. It looks correct.

I have never had any business with Quick Books what-so-ever. I have never contacted Quick Books, or Intuit requesting this information be sent to me. Nor has anyone else here.

The second email is different at the end:

We sent you this email because we received a request from you or someone at your company for your QuickBooks license information. If no one from your company requested this information, please contact us.

If you need to download QuickBooks, visit the QuickBooks Support Site.

Thanks for being an Intuit customer!

Intuit Customer Service
www.intuit.com

Legal
Privacy
Contact Us
About Intuit

You have received this business communication as part of our efforts to fulfill your request or service your account. You may receive this and other business communications from us even if you have opted out of marketing messages.

If you receive an e-mail message that appears to come from Intuit but that you suspect is a phishing e-mail, please forward it immediately to [email address removed] . Please visit http://security.intuit.com/ for additional security information.

Please note: This e-mail was sent from an auto-notification system that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

© 2013 Intuit Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Has anyone else received any emails containing unsolicited prior year Intuit ProSeries tax software product and licensing info coming from Quick Books?

@IntuitBettyJo @IntuitGabi can one of you refer me to someone in security at Intuit that can look into this for me? I have a lot of questions about this.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I would read this topic and the answers, and look at the dates. Even though the Intuit people felt these were legitimate, they were clearly spam. I don't know if Intuit people can trace the initiating request. This might be interesting to be informed of.

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/employees-and-payroll/i-have-been-getting-suspicio...

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@qbteachmt the two emails are concerning to me because:

#1 I did not request the information to be sent to me.

#2 Why can an Intuit subsidiary, Quick Books, who I've never done business with, access all of my Intuit ProSeries tax software historical information? Does Intuit have an internal security issue?

#3 Did someone actually request said information? IF so, who was it? How was the request made?

#4 Are any other Intuit tax software customers experiencing this, or is an isolated incident to me?

#5 Is there a security breach at my end that I am not yet aware of?

qbteachmt
Level 15

I can answer #2. There are multiple and different log in screens in the Intuit-universe, unfortunately. They tell you "one ID for everything Intuit" and that means there is overlap. When something is "from" QB, that doesn't make it QB. That really just means Intuit. I log into Developers, here (pro tax), QB (mostly to access the online stuff), and I also see Mint (which I do not have), and some products show in multiple places, or link to/from them. So, you are not so much a Tax Customer as an Intuit Customer, from their perspective.

Here's hoping you learn more and are able to share it here.

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@qbteachmt So, is it possible that any one of the 14,000+ employees at Intuit could be the impetus for the two emails landing in my email inbox? Do you think that all 14,000+ have the wherewithal to take this action? Or, would an individual Intuit employee need some sort of Intuit clearance to enter into the customer software database to take this action?

I have to log in with my user name, a password, and sometimes enter a pin code that was emailed to me before I can do anything at the Intuit web site. I would think that Intuit could trace back to the employee that originated this action.

I cannot think back to any time in the past years that I would have needed this information sent to me for any reason. For it to all of a sudden randomly show up in by email inbox twice within one minute is a bit alarming.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Hi there! I was able to get more information from Quickbooks on this.

When you reach out to QuickBooks, they will be able to give you the details on email communications. Click here for more on how to Contact QuickBooks products and services support.

Unsure if an email is from Intuit? Email details to Security@intuit.com and learn more at Intuit's Privacy and Security Contact us page

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But unless the smell of lutefisk has caused some permanent brain damage -------- even worse than the anvils -------------------- I could have sworn that AntiTax has never owned or used Quickbooks so I'm pretty sure he hasn't reached out to Quickbooks.  So if he reaches out now, aren't they going to wonder why he is reaching out if he doesn't own the product?  Too much of Intuit is intertwined so that its users just get sucked into a web that they didn't ask for and don't want to be in.

Slava Ukraini!
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@IntuitGabi   

I have never done any business with QuickBooks.  I have no contacts at QuickBooks. 

As a customer of ProSeries, I'm asking ProSeries' customer data security team to reach out to QuickBooks for an explanation and then report it back to me.  

You can facilitate by getting me into contact with someone in ProSeries' data security team. 

Thank you for your assistance.

IntuitGabi

Sure, I can get an email started for you. 

Our internal customer database is shared with QuickBooks, so it might be possible the email was initiated from there, but nonetheless if you're not connected with the product.. this is confusing. 

Be on the lookout for an email. 

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

Thank you @IntuitGabi 

All systems at my end seem to be nominal. 

I will report back here if I learn what occurred at Intuit's end. 

Lukepccpa
Level 3

I received two of these same emails today.

I use both QuickBooks and ProSeries, and the emails listed my products for both.

Also received a call from a Jim Morrison at 858-252-2145 Ext 2030 about "activation of my full service account".  Whatever the hell that is.

Personally, I think somebody is hacking into intuit but can only get far enough to get a customer email and an order history, but can't find anything more.  

0 Cheers
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@Lukepccpa  I never did hear anything back from Intuit on this.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

I can't confirm Jim Morrison.
As for the emails, it seems that the one @The_AntiTax_Man mentioned was legitimate. 

When reaching out to the email above, this is what is sent to your email: 

• We’ll investigate any email that is reported as being suspicious or that the sender is impersonating Intuit. We may contact you with additional details. If the email is a legitimate email from Intuit, you will receive no further communication. Please note that your email may be forwarded to another department for review and you may be contacted by that department. 
  • Questions regarding QuickBooks TurboTax, Mint, or ProTax products and our service, support, or care concerns that are not related to security please visit the Intuit Contact Us page and visit Support and Communities. If you submit a request such as is described through this channel, you will not receive any further response. 
  • If you are seeking to unsubscribe from promotional emails you may complete your request by going to https://privacy.intuit.com/cpi/do/signin. If you choose not to receive marketing communications from us, we will continue to send you mandatory service or transactional communications related to Intuit products you use or have used. 
  • If this is related to a GDPR request please go to https://quickbooks.intuit.com/eu/gdpr/ for further assistance. 
  • If your issue is related to Account Recovery, please click on the Recover Your Account button to reset your Intuit account. 
  • If you are reporting an individual or a business that is selling, installing, and/or using unlicensed or counterfeit copies of Intuit software or if you have bought such product please visit the Piracy page for more information. 
  • For questions regarding our Security policies visit https://security.intuit.com/ 
  • For questions regarding our Privacy policy visit https://www.intuit.com/privacy/ 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I recently got 3 emails like this that reference My Account, my Full Service Plan, an invoice, a payment, and my credit card number on file. I don't have a Service plan and I never put a credit card number on file with Intuit, so I know it's all bogus.