Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raffle winnings

Liesal
Level 4

I rarely have a client who wins raffles.  This year yes.  SO my question is client signed off form saying  she was not accepting the winnings and donating back to the non profit.

she did not receive a w2 g

she never received the money

My thinking is because she had the right to donate it back its income with a corresponding sch a deduction( which she cant use because she doesn't itemize)

thanks for thoughts.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"She should have been issued a w2 g as she meets the requirements. but was not"

Well, if that meets the reporting threshold, of course. And there would have been withholding or a tax payment made, as well, by one of the parties.

"seems to me the and in turn should be deleted"

Seems to me the "and in turn donating back" should be deleted.

You cannot donate something that is not yours. Declining to accept it, means it isn't yours.

I would treat this all as "never happened."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

You cannot do Both of these: "client signed off form saying she was not accepting the winnings and donating back to the non profit."

You either didn't claim it, and left it with that entity. Or, you Claim it, and donate it.

0 Cheers
Liesal
Level 4

I agree with your response but that is exact wording on the letter. 

"I understand that i was the winner of raffle and was entitled to xxx$ which i am not accepting and in turn donating back ."

seems to me the and in turn should be deleted.  if you are not accepting cant donate it.I am inclined to not report as income.

She should have been issued a w2 g as she meets the requirements. but was not

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"She should have been issued a w2 g as she meets the requirements. but was not"

Well, if that meets the reporting threshold, of course. And there would have been withholding or a tax payment made, as well, by one of the parties.

"seems to me the and in turn should be deleted"

Seems to me the "and in turn donating back" should be deleted.

You cannot donate something that is not yours. Declining to accept it, means it isn't yours.

I would treat this all as "never happened."