Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on IRS IPAs electronically filed with return

ejdtaxman
Level 7

Couple questions for people with experience e-filing the 9465 with the 1040. 

I filed a 9465 with a clients return on April 17. The total due is 27k. 

Client wanted to pay 20k upfront and the rest over 4-5 months. I have no experience filing these electronically so stupid me I put the 20k as the initial payment on the 9465 instead of doing that separately using direct pay or something and just having the initial payment be the same amount as the other monthly payment. 

I do not want to have him rack up interest on this balance unnecessarily, but I also do not want a voluntary payment made outside the agreement to conflict with the initial payment I put on the form. In other words, I do not want the IRS to withdraw another 20k when the agreement is processed which would result in him overpaying 13k (as well as seriously messing with his cash flow). 

So my questions are: 

1 If I include the 9465 with the return which was filed timely, does the initial payment get credited as paid when the return was filed, such that he incurs interest only on 7k? Or does it get credited when the agreement is processed?

2 If the answer to the above is the latter, if I make the voluntary payment now to avoid accrual of any future interest, will the IRS still process the agreement as filed or will they disregard the initial 20k and just move on to withdrawing the monthly payments as normal? 

I know there might not be a real answer to these, I was more hoping if anyone had experience with this scenario and could share the results. 

thanks in advance. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

1. The payment with the 9465 will be credited and penalty & interest will accrue on the balanc

2. Interest and late payment penalty will accrue of any balance by, determined by the payment dates. The client can make payments at https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Did you do a 2210 with the return? There could also be underpayment penalty due. 

Generally if the client can pay in a few months I DO NOT send a 9465. I just have client send money just like you are doing. The 9465 makes it too formal for such a short period. The IRS may not even finish processing a 1040 in the few months the client might take to pay off the tax.

I suggest the client set up an IRS account so they can check on the posting of the return and payments. https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account set up the account there. 

If you did the 9465 with automatic debit, then have the client be sure there are funds in the account for the dates you set up. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

1. The payment with the 9465 will be credited and penalty & interest will accrue on the balanc

2. Interest and late payment penalty will accrue of any balance by, determined by the payment dates. The client can make payments at https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Did you do a 2210 with the return? There could also be underpayment penalty due. 

Generally if the client can pay in a few months I DO NOT send a 9465. I just have client send money just like you are doing. The 9465 makes it too formal for such a short period. The IRS may not even finish processing a 1040 in the few months the client might take to pay off the tax.

I suggest the client set up an IRS account so they can check on the posting of the return and payments. https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account set up the account there. 

If you did the 9465 with automatic debit, then have the client be sure there are funds in the account for the dates you set up. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
ejdtaxman
Level 7

got it. As long as he will build interest on 7k and not 27k I will just leave it alone. 

He definitely has the funds there. 

Appreciate your help.

0 Cheers