Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for my favorite QB lady in MT

IRonMaN
Level 15

This isn't a tax question, but that's ok since I don't want a tax answer.  This is a question for @qbteachmt 

Years ago we used to do payroll processing for a number of clients.  Over the years we have tried to get out of that racket but we still have one small client that we can't say no to.  But after looking at the cost of what Quickbooks is charging for their desktop payroll software we are looking at going with plan B or maybe even plan C or D.  But for the question I have I couldn't find any answers to by doing some searches so I thought I would ask the only person outside of Intuit that might know the answer (and I wasn't about to call support and get a wrong answer).  If a client is using Quickbooks desktop and is paying Intuit for the accompanying payroll service, can we print W-2s for them if they provide a backup of their Quickbooks if we no longer paid for our own Quickbooks payroll service?  We have a handful of clients that need their hands held really tight so we get a backup of their Quickbooks file and prepare quarterly payroll tax returns as well as W-2s.  For those clients, if we discontinue our payroll service, are we going to be prevented from printing those W-2s using our own computers in the comfort of our own office or as long as they have their own payroll subscription should we be able to accomplish our mission?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"can we print W-2s for them if they provide a backup of their Quickbooks if we no longer paid for our own Quickbooks payroll service?"

Whew; please note that I am not current on this stuff. The past few years, I've been working only as developer support and stopped teaching in 2015 (except one summer class) and stopped supporting end users in 2020 (this is my first year with no clients at all; I might be retired...).

It all works off of the key. When I got a client's file, it came with their payroll key active, or I put that in when setting up/fixing their file. There used to be Manual, Basic and Advanced Payroll, as well as Accountant's Payroll. The Accountant's Payroll had more functionality, including after-the-fact payroll. I supported a Pro Advisor where we would put in the Accountant's key to do the work the client didn't have at their subscription level. The Accountant's Payroll entitled you to use your key with 50 FEIN. I seem to recall that before you give back a client's file, you would remove your accountant key and put theirs back. Try this topic, to see if that helps at the least, describe some usage:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/employees-and-payroll/enhanced-payroll-for-account...

So, you should be able to use their file to do anything they have authorized and are paying for, which was always a bit scary to me. I never wanted to accidentally run their payroll or efile their pending PR liab payments or direct deposit, when simply trying to fix their payroll mistakes, such as Deductions the wrong type (gross or not) wrong additions (taxable or not), child support and other garnishments, etc.

If you were never using your key in their file, you never needed your own payroll subscription, in other words. You might need them to upgrade to Enhanced Payroll, though. Does that help?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
qbteachmt
Level 15

"can we print W-2s for them if they provide a backup of their Quickbooks if we no longer paid for our own Quickbooks payroll service?"

Whew; please note that I am not current on this stuff. The past few years, I've been working only as developer support and stopped teaching in 2015 (except one summer class) and stopped supporting end users in 2020 (this is my first year with no clients at all; I might be retired...).

It all works off of the key. When I got a client's file, it came with their payroll key active, or I put that in when setting up/fixing their file. There used to be Manual, Basic and Advanced Payroll, as well as Accountant's Payroll. The Accountant's Payroll had more functionality, including after-the-fact payroll. I supported a Pro Advisor where we would put in the Accountant's key to do the work the client didn't have at their subscription level. The Accountant's Payroll entitled you to use your key with 50 FEIN. I seem to recall that before you give back a client's file, you would remove your accountant key and put theirs back. Try this topic, to see if that helps at the least, describe some usage:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/employees-and-payroll/enhanced-payroll-for-account...

So, you should be able to use their file to do anything they have authorized and are paying for, which was always a bit scary to me. I never wanted to accidentally run their payroll or efile their pending PR liab payments or direct deposit, when simply trying to fix their payroll mistakes, such as Deductions the wrong type (gross or not) wrong additions (taxable or not), child support and other garnishments, etc.

If you were never using your key in their file, you never needed your own payroll subscription, in other words. You might need them to upgrade to Enhanced Payroll, though. Does that help?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

It helps a lot - thanks!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers