Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you file a second amended return for the same year

tctxldy
Level 3

I have a client that received two years of corrected W2's.  I filed the appropriate 1040X and returns were filed.  Now the company (the wonderful state of CA) has issued another corrected W2 for which I need to file subsequent amended returns.  Any idea how to go about this?  Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
poolcleaner
Level 9

The same way you did the first one.  Amend the 1040X with a second 1040X only this time send the copies from the first 1040X instead of copies from the original return. Be certain to include the new W-2.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
poolcleaner
Level 9

The same way you did the first one.  Amend the 1040X with a second 1040X only this time send the copies from the first 1040X instead of copies from the original return. Be certain to include the new W-2.

0 Cheers
tctxldy
Level 3
Thank you, so should I do another 1040 with the old numbers and then amend that one.  Or put the numbers from the first amended return as the original amounts?  After 30 years I haven't had this before 😞
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Column A says original amounts or as previously adjusted. The first 1040X = As previously adjusted.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
:+1::+1:
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
"put the numbers from the first amended return as the original amounts"
^^ this

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
and only send in the pages that changed from the 1st amended return....which could possibly include some forms on the original return that were  NOT impacted by the 1st 1040X.
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
tctxldy
Level 3
Thank you all for your input.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
@tctxldy - warn your client now, up front, that this WILL turn into a royal PITA mess that will take months (if not a year plus... ) to eventually resolve.  I had one several years ago (CA reclassifying wages to disability pay) that drove me nuts.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
tctxldy
Level 3
Thanks for the heads up.  Client actually works for the State of Ca and they screwed up two years twice.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
sounds like CA   :smile::smile:

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers