Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS Pro 2019-are all my Win7 computers obsolete? Who is going to pay for new PCs?

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Although I really don't appreciate getting my 2019 invoice(5% increase) only 3 days after April 15, I really am upset that I may not be able to use Pro Series any more.

Are they forcing me to buy all new PCs? I was planning to retire in two years, but that may be hastened, and then they lose my $6,000 annual fee.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Windows 10 upgrade is $ 129 on Amazon...assuming your hardware is still adequate you don't have to buy new computers.  I have Win10 on 6 year old one, with no issues.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
abctax55
Level 15

Windows 10 upgrade is $ 129 on Amazon...assuming your hardware is still adequate you don't have to buy new computers.  I have Win10 on 6 year old one, with no issues.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
Win7, 64 bit, bought 04/30/13.
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
I have a 64 bit that had Win 7 and converted to WIN 10 last year with no problems. That ought to make the party start all over again!
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
I will try it.
0 Cheers
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7
Doing the same on a number of machines.  Here's to a smooth transition and continued access to many prior years!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Your computers may not be obsolete, but your operating system will be obsolete come January.  You can always upgrade your operating system, but if your computers don't meet the new minimum requirements they may indeed also be obsolete.  We can always start a Go Fund Me page to pay for the new computers, if needed.  It shouldn't he hard to come up with enough cash to cover the cost of new computers with a good Go Fund Me story. 

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The plan is to buy a screaming new system in the final 6 months you are in business, since that makes it a business system. Then, you retire.  🙂

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
But if you § 179 it, you'll have to recapture that depreciation. :smile:

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
100% Bonus Depreciation.   :smile::smile:
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15
Under current regulations, it's straight expense. Just keep it around $2k.
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
NO, under current Regulations, it is a depreciable expense UNLESS you QUALIFY for and actually MAKE the De Minimis Election.
0 Cheers
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7
I don't think you have to depreciate or amortize an asset that expires in six months. :relieved::relieved:
0 Cheers
wjgutcpa
Level 4

Pretty quick to send out renewal notices, yet software corrections on obvious errors or wrecks created by updates took FOREVER. 

Still looking for new software.

0 Cheers