Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Updates

taxesrita
Level 1

Sometimes I need to quickly login and get one return filed asap. 

Currently, I go through the steps in the client file to set the fed and state returns to efile Ready, then go back to the efile dashboard, do my select file and password stuff...and then get an Error message that I need to update proseries in order to efile.

Would anyone else prefer to get this message BEFORE trying to efile? Is there a way to do this?

Maybe at login - with the option to update or not? 

I have played with the auto install updates features and do not always want to do them at the moment bc sometimes they create headaches with adobe or my printer or restarting when I do not want to.

Sometimes the update feature is quick, other times I need to close stuff and reboot when I am in the middle of another project and just wanted to quickly efile a return when the 8879s come in.

Is there a way to be prompted at login that updates are critical for efile?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Today is Thursday, weekly updates generally come out late Wed or Thurs, so you may just want to Update your software every Thursday morning (or Wed before leaving  the office), before you even open the program, use the Update option in the Windows programs menu, and get it out of the way.

But yes, the random updates they sneak out, are annoying and a hassle.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Would anyone else prefer to get this message BEFORE trying to efile?"

Absolutely.  When you go to convert a file, you should be alerted that there is a required update, not after you have tried transmitting the files.  It's maddening to have state returns being transmitted only to find out that the federal returns are still waiting in the garage because you didn't use the "most up to date" version of the program.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"When you go to convert a file, you should be alerted that there is a required update, not after you have tried transmitting the files"

It used to work that way!   I know this for a fact because I used to purposefully Convert in a separate step prior to Transmitting,  just to avoid this situation!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers