Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries update for 2020 and 2021 turned the input screen on all tax returns green

marymrankin
Level 1

I just did a ProSeries 2020 update  and installed the 2021 tax program. Once the updates finished all of my input screens appear in a green color. This makes it more difficult to read. Is there any way to fix it? 

0 Cheers
25 Comments 25
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes.  Its a new feature for the prior year program, so you can tell it apart from 2021 easier when youre bouncing back and forth between years.

Tools > Options > General   

priorcolor.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
personally, I like it. I wish we could change and customize the background color for all the years!

Accountant-Man
Level 12

What I do with new employees, is turn off the color of the entry boxes in the prior year's return. That makes it a little harder to make mistakes. 

If it ain't broke, they'll break it.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Thats what Ive done as well...its subtle, but its enough of a difference to get your attention that something looks weird.

ohiohokie
Level 2

Thanks for the response.  That is missing on my Options>General page.  We just downloaded the software today.

0 Cheers
ohiohokie
Level 2

Thanks for the response - I figured out my error.

0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

I have downloaded 2021 and transferred clients. I went Tools / Options/General and the Previous year color option was not available

0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

I figured out what to do

0 Cheers
parkspowell
Level 2

Thank you, Lisa!!!  I knew it had to be there somewhere.

0 Cheers
parkspowell
Level 2

I spoke too soon.  I had already looked under General Options, but thought I had missed it.  Guess what?  The option you show on your program is not an option on mine.

I update the program every night, and I paid $5000 for Pro Series in November.  I should think that entitles me to all the features.  But, apparently not.

field color for previous years 3.jpg

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
the option is only in the 2020 program...and it only appears once 2021 is installed. So if this is your situation and that option doesnt appear a call to support may be in order.

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I change the properties of my prior year files to read only…. Removes the possibility of an accidental change

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
qbteachmt
Level 15

When people use "we" as in "we downloaded", it should be pointed out some options are set by the Admin, so if you have a networked system, make sure to start from the Admin station:

Important: 
Network. Set ProSeries options from the ProSeries Admin workstation so you can set all options, including those that must be set from the ProSeries Admin workstation.
Workstation access. When a user opens the Options dialog box on one workstation, other users can view the Options dialog box, but they can’t change any information in it. When those users open the Options dialog box, the program identifies the workstation that opened the Options dialog box first, and asks those subsequent users whether they want to see the Options dialog box in Read Only mode.
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers

I would like it too but I checked the box and still no green.  What did I do wrong?  Anyone know how to fix this?  Maybe update 2020?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Once 2021 is installed then 2020 automatically changes the background within a client file to light green unless you uncheck the box in the 2020 Options screen and turn it off.

0 Cheers
parkspowell
Level 2

The feature does not work for me at all.  I checked the box, as explained, in the 2020 program.  But, my input fields in  2020 and 2021 are both a light yellow.  There is no way to tell from the appearance of the page on screen that I am inputting data in 2020, rather than 2021.  I have rebooted my computer, refreshed my updates, tried opening 2020 before opening 2021, opening 2021 first and then opening the client in 2020, but nothing changes.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So in your 2020 program this box is checked?

JustLisaNow_0-1642117373317.png

0 Cheers
parkspowell
Level 2

Yes, ma'am.  The box is checked.  I have installed all updates, refreshed my updates, and restarted the computer.  Both screens, in the same client, are the identical color in both years.

0 Cheers

Did that nada....no green.  the box was not checked before I loaded 2021.  I wonder if that is why? 

0 Cheers

Same here

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Intuit_hieu   care to weigh in on this?  Is there a corrupt file somewhere?

Dafydd
Employee
Employee

If the file is locked, you will not see the background color of green.  You indicated a yellow color on input boxes.  This might indicate the client file is locked.  Can you check if the client file is locked?

0 Cheers
parkspowell
Level 2

The client files are not locked.  I tried with multiple clients, both individual 1040 returns and 1120-S returns.  All input fields in both years are a light yellow, when both years are open for the taxpayer, as it is when only one year is open.

0 Cheers
Dafydd
Employee
Employee

What is the background color?  I don't believe the input fields change color.  Just the background color of 2020 should change to a light green instead of white.

0 Cheers

I unlocked several returns and the background color is null/white, like normal.  I updated the 2020 program and tried various things.  But note:  my 2021 program wouldn't update the 1040s so I followed one of your suggestions I found online and deleted the 1040 and reinstalled it and it updated.  Another note:  My rates per form didn't transfer either so I entered them all in manually.  Due to all this I think there may be a few corrupted files in my original download.  I will live with it this year since I don't want to go back in and re-set everything (letters, rates, invoices, etc) the way I want them.  But if there is a way to update it all but the common file....I'm for it!

0 Cheers