Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Safe Mode

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I have a question for Richard (or Orlando or whoever else) about the article that was just posted about ProSeries crashing.

The article says this:

After updating, it is possible to select ProSeries Safe Mode, which will turn off ProSeries back ground processes that are crashing on some customer’s computer configurations.

ProSeries Safe Mode will not impact any of your normal workflows inside of ProSeries. You will still be able to prepare, print and efile returns, like you always have.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-news-updates/discussion/proseries-unexpected-c...

1. What do these "background processes" actually do so that they are unnecessary to do what we need to do to prepare tax returns?
  2. If they are unnecessary, why are they running in the first place, which potentially slows down the computer?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Occasionaly, Proseries releases a fix which creates new problems.  So I would be leary updating if you have no problems with crash issues at this time.  I would check here first to see if any new problems are created by eliminating the background action.  Just my opinion.

0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9

@TaxGuyBill  you are more optimistic than I am.  This is one of the few messages we have had on this so I will be surprised if they tell us that.

Dusty Ernie

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

I was only crashing about once a day and I did the update this morning and have done pretty much everything with no problems.  

ceciengcpasf
Level 3

Thanks for the patch.

I agree that  a simplified technical explanation of the problem would make us more informed users. Was the efiling process or other processes conflicting with another task causing the crash when running simultaneously ?  How does safe mode address the issue ?  Does it force one process to finish first before another one starts ? What processes run simultaneously ?

This is not an inquiry to lay blame but to find out the intricacies of proseries.  Will make us better users.  Thanks

0 Cheers