Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Professional appears to have computational error in taxable SS when unemployment exclusion under ARPA 2021

danatsmith
Level 2

This has been resolved. Thank you to those who directed me to  IRC S 86(b)(2)(A) and 85(c)(2).

ProSeries appears to have computational error in taxable SS when unemployment exclusion under ARPA 2021. Social Security Benefits Worksheet, line 3 should be pulling $s from the lines described, one of which is Schedule 1, line 9. Sch. 1, line 9 is the amount after the $10,200 unemployment exclusion. As of 3.20.2021 11am it is not. The total on Social Security Benefits Worksheet, line 3 is the same amount as before the unemployment exclusion program update.  I became aware only because I had done a Tax Planner projection to let the client know the potential savings from amending the return for.  The Planner and the tax return compute different amounts of what is taxable social security benefits.  I spoke with ProSeries this am to see which computation is correct and report their software issue. While the support person was kind, she had no idea.  Anyone else seeing this?  

Labels (1)
3 Replies 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 14
Keet
Level 2

Yes, I posted yesterday that it was not taken it into the calculation and today reread the instruction and the calculation is incorrect.  It affects it seems every other calculation so unless they are intentional hurting the people with fixed income and disabilities, it is an error.  Would not put past hurting the retirees as the stimulus payments only go to those that file tax returns now and if they have not filed for a while, would not know to file now.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Keet 

"Yes, I posted yesterday that it was not taken it into the calculation and today reread the instruction and the calculation is incorrect."

Then you should start a topic of your own and put that info in the topic for discussion and review. All you did so far is blame the government that old people are being hurt and that the computation is incorrect. However, twice you are given the info that it is right.

So, please share something meaningful.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.