Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries needs to update program to comply with 2019 tax payment extension

Highlighted

In the ProSeries Basic program the "Electronic Funds Withdrawal Option", will not accept a date after April 15, 2020 (without showing an error), although the government has extended the payment due date until July 15, 2020.   

This issue prevents electronic filing.   When can a program update be expected?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
30 Replies 30
Highlighted
Level 11

Who do you think must update its program first?  IRS or Intuit?  Have you thought about asking IRS?  Do you want it done fast, or do you want it done right?

Highlighted
Level 3

I called them yesterday because I ran into the same problem.  They said that they were "in development."  He explained that in development meant they are coding the software and an update to the software will be available within a few days.  Hope this helps

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

A few weeks maybe, but I wouldnt hold my breath.  It would require IRS to change their programming as well.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

That helps (if they in deed are working on it), for I have clients that are out of country and can only pay through electronic funds withdrawal.   

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

I called again this morning and they said it should take a few more days.  We'll see!  I think they should post an update instead of leaving everyone to guess.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

It'll be longer than days, guaranteed.    IRS still needs to reprogram their systems before Intuit can reprogram theirs, and since theyve both got a skeleton staff due to the lockdown....Id be impressed if its fixed by April 15th.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Like I said....we'll see!  

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 11

@mhep  "I have clients that are out of country and can only pay through electronic funds withdrawal."

Then tell them to do that.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3
This appeared in my alerts and it looks like a temporary fix for efiling on 7/15.  I am going to give it a shot!   Turning off error checking for Electronic Filing

There are times when you, as a tax preparer, have made overrides within Intuit ProConnect ProSeries Professional Edition or Intuit ProConnect ProSeries Basic Edition to make necessary adjustments or corrections. ProSeries has an internal error check that may prevent such files from being e-filed. In order to e-file these returns, you must disable, or turn off, the Return Conversion Error Checking. 

Before you disable error checking:
  • There is no guarantee the return will transmit or that it will be accepted with the Return Conversion Error Checking disabled.
  • Disabling error checking will not clear errors from the return. It merely ignores the errors.
  • Disabling error checking will not always successfully bypass the error and in some scenarios the return will still fail to convert for an electronic filing.
  • Disabling error checking is not recommended without direction from a Technical Support Representative.
In ProSeries Professional:
  1. Go to the EF Center.
  2. Highlight the client's return for e-file (Federal and state, if applicable).
  3. Go to the E-file menu located on the menu bar.
  4. Select Electronic Filing and then click on Convert/Transmit Returns/Extension/Payments.  
  5. Uncheck the Enable conversion error checking box then click OK.
  6. ProSeries will convert and transmit the return.
  7. The Enable conversion error checking checkbox will default back to being checked
In ProSeries Basic:
  1. Go to the EF Clients tab.
  2. Highlight the client's returns to be e-filed (Federal and state, if applicable).
  3. Go to the E-file menu located on the menu bar.
  4. Select Electronic Filing and then click on Convert/Transmit Returns/Extensions/Payments.  
  5. Uncheck the Enable conversion error checking box then click OK.
  6. ProSeries will convert and transmit the return.
  7. The Enable conversion error checking checkbox will default back to being checked
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

I just filed 3 tax returns for separate clients, using a 7/15 payment date.  They all went through and were accepted by the IRS and the state.  Instructions are shown in an earlier email I posted.  Good luck!

Highlighted
Level 3

Chris,

Please tell me how you did it as the instructions provided by Proseries are not working for me.  Their instructions were to "uncheck the enable conversion error checking".  Thanks for any help you can provide.  

Ann D.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

1.  Go to the EF Clients tab

2.  Highlight the client's returns to be efiled (Federal and state, if applicable)

3.  Go to the E-File menu located on the menu bar

4.  Select Electronic Filing and then click on Convert/Transmit Returns/Extensions/Payments

5.  Uncheck the Enable Conversion Error Checking box, then click OK

6.  ProSeries will convert and transmit the return

7.  The Enable Conversion Error Checking checkbox will default back to being checked

If you continue to have problems, call Proseries technical support at 1-800-434-6818.

Have your account number ready and I suggest you call at 9:00 am Eastern time (6 PST)

Highlighted
Level 1

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Thank you.  I agree.  Still waiting to file client returns.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Are you still having issues?  Is that why you're waiting to file returns?

Highlighted
Level 3

Yes.  Proseries is giving me an error message and is rejecting the returns EVEN with my turning off the return conversion error checking disabled.   The returns are now piling up (8).

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

You have to go through the steps for each return you file because the settings go back to the default.

Other than that, I don't know.  Have you tried to call them?  The best time is as soon as they open.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

I will try today - I believe I they open at 9:00 EDT.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Yes they are.  1-800-434-6818 and have your account number ready.

I was wondering if maybe the state may be complicating matters.  If your state is not accepting extended dates, then that may be why you're getting errors.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

I just tried again - still not working.   Our state has also changed to July 15, 2020.  It is not working for either the federal or the state.  I will call today.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

ok.  Good luck

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

hank you.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Youre unchecking this box?   There should be an update this week to fix it so we dont have to turn off the error checking.

errorcheck.png

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Yes, I knew that was coming, but didn't know how soon.  Just wanted to get my returns done and out the door.  It worked and I was happy with that.  

Thanks for the update

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

I talked to a Proseries agent and she helped me to get the returns filed.  On the Client Status page, I needed to check the box "Ready to Efile".  Once I did that it worked.  Normally I don't need to check that box but all is well now.  Thank you for all your help and concern.  

Highlighted
Level 3

Yay!  So glad to hear that.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Weird, Ive never had to mark any boxes on the client status page for any return...are you Efiling from within a client return or from the EFcenter?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Me neither.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

From the e-file center.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

Yes, I am.   Still not working.  I am going to call Proseries at 9:00 AM today.

0 Cheers