Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries is not allowing e-file when the Simplified AMT Foreign Tax credit limitation is selected. We have used it every year. Is this getting fixed?

jodi3
Level 2
Nothing was changed between 2019 and 2020 returns. Now I'm getting an error that I cannot efile because this election has been chosen.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
sjrcpa
Level 15

Others have mentioned this.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
jodi3
Level 2

I'm seeing that, but there has not been a solution other then giving up. Is Intuit going to fix the problem?

0 Cheers
J Davis
Level 2

When you remove the election, the error is gone.

The calculation in my case is the same, no AMT is due. According to the help, and I assume the IRS rules, permission to not use the simplified method if used in the first year would have to be obtained.

I am wondering if taking off the election where there is no change in tax, carryovers, etc. would create some king of problem.

0 Cheers
jodi3
Level 2

Since the IRS requires approval to change the method, it appears we are stuck this year with paper filing. Our client is not paying AMT but are getting a credit for past AMT...Disappointing that Intuit is not fixing the issue. Hopefully we won't see this next year =/

Yes, I am on with support at the moment and am having the same issue.  I have 6 partner returns I must file using this method so we surely need a quick fix.

0 Cheers

I just talked to support and the programmers are working on it.  ETA is Friday for an update.  Hope it happens.

Jonas121920
Level 1

Was that Friday 4/23 or Friday 4/30?    It didn't happen by the 23rd, but happy to hear they are working on it.  I can change the method and end up with same credit, but don't like to knowingly violate IRS rules, even though I know it's unlikely they would ever notice.   And I would rather file electronically.  So I will wait and keep my fingers crossed.  I am very disappointed in TT that it has taken this long.  

Thanks for sharing your info.

0 Cheers
cici1
Level 1

Has TurboTax provided an update which allows e-filing with AMT Form 1116 using the Simplified Method?

0 Cheers
Jonas121920
Level 1

Not as of yesterday when I tried to e-file again.  😞

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@cici1 

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
cpasfla
Level 1

Was this ever resolved - I am having the same issue

0 Cheers

This issue was never resolved, and filing on paper is not a valid solution, so I had to make several overrides to make the return calculate properly.  Next tax season, I will need to check to see if the changes I made transferred or if I will need to adjust the returns again. 

In this day and age of technology, clients do not want to hear that my software provider is unable to fix a calculation problem/efiling issue.  I certainly hope, during this non busy time, a solution and update is forthcoming.

J Davis
Level 2

Sometimes I feel Pro-series only reacts and takes action on issues that affect just about all of us rather than a clear error that maybe affects fewer users.

I don't know how to compel them to address an issue like this.

I was on a call with a tech yesterday and suggested that they propose a simple check box to carry a partner's info on a K-1 worksheet to the area of the 1065 for the designated partner for audits "formerly the designated tax matters partner". He simply said he will post the suggestion but they don't listen to them.

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Good morning. This issue was never resolved for 2020 and is an issue again for 2021. Is Proseries ever going to address this? I do not see anything in the IRS instructions that says you must paper file a return that includes form 6251 with Simplified AMT elected.

0 Cheers

Good morning, we wanted to reach out and let you know we advised the correct team about the experience you're having with this. When we get more info we'll follow up here with you. 

0 Cheers