Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries Duplicating Clients in Homebase

violajr
Level 3

Am using Proseries Stand Alone installation on 2 computers.

1) Installed the software on both computers.

2) Transferred last years clients into Proseries on Computer 1.
3) Did some general maintenance to all the clients and deleted old clients that I no longer needed.
4) Executed a backup of all the clients from Computer 1.
5) Went to Computer 2 and did a restore of the clients that I did the backup of from computer 1.
6) All clients were imported no issues.

Now here is where it gets crazy.

1) On Computer 2 started to do a tax.
2) After saving the client I exited proseries.
3) After launching again Proseries duplicated every single client in home base.  The files were not duplicated in the directory just homebase.
4) Ran Homebase maintenance and nothing changed.
5) Renamed the homebase folder in winpro20 directory
6) Ran home base maintenance and it removed all the duplicates

All looked good.  Until today it duplicated Just one return in home base,  The one I am working on.
Ran Maintenance again duplicate still there.
Renamed folder ran Maintenance duplicate still there.

Not sure what is going on.  Need to resolve.  The file is not duplicated bit there is something going on as the data entered in both files is not the same.  This is very confusing.

Never seen this behavior before.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Ok.. direct from the expert!

Sorry for the frustration.  I think there’s a different way for TY20 you want to go about doing what you’re doing.

First, let’s fix your Issue. To clean up the duplicates on Computer 2:

• Locate the restored files (probably in the data directory).
  • Ensure that the backup folder from computer 1 is not in the data directory anywhere.
  • Rename the homebase folder in prowin20 directory to “homebase_backup”
  • Start ProSeries and run HomeBase Maintenance.
  • Next, delete the backup folder from computer 1 so you don't accidentally work on these files.

Going forward, to copy files from computer 1 to computer 2:

On Computer 1

• In HomeBase, select your files, right click, and choose “Copy/Backup” 

On Computer 2

• Copy the backed up files from computer 1 into the data directory of computer 2. Be sure to overwrite existing files if updating clients (rather than putting them in a subfolder), or there will be duplicates again.
  • Run HomeBase Maintenance.

Hopefully that makes sense and gets you pointed in the right directory. If not I'll see if I can get you on a call with the experts to work things out.

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
IRonMaN
Level 15

Homebase can do some funky things at times.  Have you rebooted your computer?

Slava Ukraini!
violajr
Level 3

Yes we have rebooted several times and the behavior is the same.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't know if it will help, but it's worth a try.  Have you tried clicking on your computer start menu and then select ProSeries and click on tools-repair updates?

Slava Ukraini!
violajr
Level 3

Nope no luck. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't have any divine guidance but maybe our local magician @Orlando  can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Slava Ukraini!
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Checking with the engineers who are experts in this area. 

The underlying database changed this year, to something that's actively supported.  In that process some obvious things changed, like how HomeBase Maintenance worked, and a ton under the covers. I will have them look at this to assess and provide guidance. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks for checking in Orlando.  By the way - everybody here voted to get you a pay raise.  If Intuit listens to us, the raise should be on your next paycheck!

Slava Ukraini!
violajr
Level 3

Orlando if you need anything from us that may be of assistance please let me know.  One thing that we notice is that the file name for the two duplicate records in home base are the same with one minor exception.  The extension of the file shows .20i while all other entries in home base show .20I (upper case (I) vs lower case (i).

If you would like to discuss this let me know and we can arrange for a call if need be. 

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Ok.. direct from the expert!

Sorry for the frustration.  I think there’s a different way for TY20 you want to go about doing what you’re doing.

First, let’s fix your Issue. To clean up the duplicates on Computer 2:

• Locate the restored files (probably in the data directory).
  • Ensure that the backup folder from computer 1 is not in the data directory anywhere.
  • Rename the homebase folder in prowin20 directory to “homebase_backup”
  • Start ProSeries and run HomeBase Maintenance.
  • Next, delete the backup folder from computer 1 so you don't accidentally work on these files.

Going forward, to copy files from computer 1 to computer 2:

On Computer 1

• In HomeBase, select your files, right click, and choose “Copy/Backup” 

On Computer 2

• Copy the backed up files from computer 1 into the data directory of computer 2. Be sure to overwrite existing files if updating clients (rather than putting them in a subfolder), or there will be duplicates again.
  • Run HomeBase Maintenance.

Hopefully that makes sense and gets you pointed in the right directory. If not I'll see if I can get you on a call with the experts to work things out.

violajr
Level 3

is did work but t also worked the first time I tried it and the duplicate did return the next day.

Lets hope that the duplicate does not show up again.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm keeping my fingers, um paws, crossed for you.  Good luck!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
beyette10
Level 2

I'll try  Thank you, Sandy

0 Cheers
JSabCPA
Level 2

I've also noticed that if you delete one of the two lines...Choose wisely! In my case, deleting one of the lines deleted both lines and the actual data file.  IT'S ONE FILE WITH TWO NAMES!                                                     John Sabatino, Texas CPA

0 Cheers