Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries Basic to pro

Sid1206
Level 2

I completed a federal tax return on the basic and now I have to do the state on Pro to access form 568.

Can I transfer the 1040 from basic to Pro? I did it this was to avoid paying the fee to file the 1040 with the hopes of using the Professional series to file form 568. 

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can open the Basic file in Professional.  Just uncheck the EF boxes for the 1040  and 540, an only check the EF box for the CA LLC....then Efile it on its own in Professional.  You will be only charged to file/print the 568 return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Camp1040
Level 10

If CA is one of your licensed states, be sure to check the LLC box on the 1040 Sch.C and your license should work in Pro for the selected state without an additional charge.

I use Basic. In the past TN was one of my licensed states and I would prepare the F&E tax return in Pro and my license was good to do so. I would file the Federal return with Basic and the F&E return with Professional.

Summer2021
Level 4

Will the answer still the same for filing 2022 tax return?  

I have a client who has a single member LLC.  I am using Proseries Basis for e-filing but preparing the return using Proseries Professional. 

Currently I am unable to open my client's file from Proseries Basis.  The error message said to update/select/download  CA LLC.  However, when I did that, CA LLC was not listed as a choice.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Prepare the return in Basic and be sure to check the LLC box.

Then go to Pro and restore the file, which transfers the file from Basic to Pro.

Open the file and uncheck E-file federal return and check efile the state return., Go to the state return button at the top of Pro and select CA LLC.

Mostly what Lisa said.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Since Basic doesnt have the 568 module, you may have to go back to 2021, open the return in Pro, and remove the SMLLC return (or make a copy and remove the LLC from the copy), then save it and transfer that file over into 2022 Basic.

What a hassle.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

I'm not sure if I would transfer the 2021 return into pro. Prepare all that can be prepared in basic and then restore the 2022 in pro and complete the state 568 LLC.

With my TN LLC returns I never transfer the return from pro to pro. 

0 Cheers
Summer2021
Level 4

I thought I was able to do that last year for a different client, i.e. prepared it in Pro then brought it up and e-filed in Basis.  

It's so sad that I now have to redo the return in basis but it's the price I paid.  Basis is a lot cheaper.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Maybe you can restore the file from pro to basic, I have not tried it.

When TN had income tax form, I would file the  fed and state in basic then restore the file to pro and file the TN SMLLC. I don't know if CA module can be filed stand alone from the state.

0 Cheers