Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries 2020 Unable to save data error - object reference not set to an instance of an object

taxmancometh1
Level 2

Hi, This started on 3-4-2021.  I called support a few times and they were unable to help fix.

When I open some client files I get the "Unable to save data" error.  Other times I was getting the "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error. 

Support tried to insist it was my antivirus or my firewall, both of which I disabled and it still happens.  The other workstation has different anti virus and all the same issues happen there as well.  Something on Proseries Pro is corrupting my data.

Support said a lot of people called in yesterday for these errors.  I think a Proseries update messed something up.

I have uninstalled the program on both workstations and updated.  Starts to work, I open a client and it opens.  I close and try to reopen and the error comes back.

I have restored from a backup from the previous morning and import the client and again it works a couple times then stops working.

This is just unacceptable, I have full days doing returns for the next month and the program doesn't work.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
IRonMaN
Level 15

@Orlando  - any guidance on this one?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

@IRonMaN Thanks for the callout. This is the first I've heard of this.

@taxmancometh1 Can you launch ProSeries, choose Help -> Send Logs, and email the resulting .zip file (saved to your desktop) to proseries_engineering@intuit.com?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks for checking in Orlando.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Had it today on a 1120S return.  Tried saving file to a new name.  Didn't work.  Deleted file, re-transferred from 2019. Still same.  If you Google it there are 6 steps to try and all 6 didn't work.  Will try starting a fresh new file (royal pain for this client) and see what happens. @Orlando 

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

@dascpa Can you follow those same steps I just posted to send your log files?  The "object reference not set" message is fairly generic - it's sort of a catch all default message from Microsoft.  I'm hoping in the log there's detail on where this is coming from.

Also which article are you referring to? My Google Skills are failing - i'm not finding ones specific to ProSeries.

0 Cheers
taxmancometh1
Level 2

Yes, we did the same six steps and nothing worked.

0 Cheers
taxmancometh1
Level 2

@Orlando  Yes i will do that today and send from my work email address.

Thanks

0 Cheers
taxmancometh1
Level 2

@Orlando  Nobody has called yet.  The CPA emailed you the phone number to call.

Please advise.

Thanks

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni
I forwarded the phone number to the agent. I don't know what they tried - most likely whatever was on file. Hopefully they can connect.
0 Cheers
taxmancometh1
Level 2

Ok, thanks.

Yeah this is getting pretty ridiculous.

Another question is there is client limit in ProSeries 2020?

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

There's no formal limit, but practically I wouldn't expect more than 5000 - 10000 clients. Generally I'd guess the average is south of 1000.

The Care agent said they'll try the other number the next time they call. I've been asking around - the only cases we are aware of where this happens is due to antivirus or backup software.  Hopefully he can work with you to identify if it's something else, and we can hopefully do something about it going forward.

0 Cheers