Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of health coverage

Greta
Level 9

Why are clients still bringing me these forms from their employers? I thought the penalty was repealed 2-3 yrs ago.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

I do believe employers are still required by IRS to prepare the forms 1095B / 1095C.   Therefore, they must send to the employees.      

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

At the federal level, the penalty was repealed.

Some people got an advanced premium tax credit. Some are eligible for a credit. Some would have to pay back the advance but for the late law change. Some states have a penalty. For all of these you need a form.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Maybe because you don't inform them, through an organizer or otherwise, that you don't need those unless you ask. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Marketplace insurance may still need the 1095A entered and some states, like CA, DO require health insurance or a penalty applies.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Greta
Level 9

I'm in Virginia, and am getting a lot of the proof of insurance papers, as from local colleges. Seems like a lot of work and postage that can be saved.

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

I'm not talking about 1095-A. Of course we need to analyze that. But employers are mailing their employees 1095-B and 1095-C. That's the law that went away 2-3 yrs ago, unneeded paperwork.

dkh
Level 15

I do believe employers are still required by IRS to prepare the forms 1095B / 1095C.   Therefore, they must send to the employees.      

PATAX
Level 15

@Greta if the children are listed on those health insurance forms maybe you can copy that and use that as part of your due diligence for EITC, CTC/ACTC, ETC. Just my opinion

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, it doesn't hurt to keep a copy for that purpose.  Besides, the ProSeries organizer asked if you received a 1095A for the year.  I don't have that many clients that received them, but I have a lot of clients that checked that box and provided me with a 1095B, or 1095C.  I guess some folks just never really learned their abc's in school. 

Slava Ukraini!