Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program error, Prior years state refund is not coming in as taxable in 2018

erickodish
Level 3

2017 state tax refund should be taxable in 2018 if the taxpayer itemized.  However program seems to have a bug and it isn't flowing through.  1099-g reflects refund.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Returns that were transferred into 2018 in Dec or early January were affected The bug  was fixed several weeks ago, but for the return to recognize the fix, you need to delete the client file and re-transfer in.  OR  You have to open the state refund worksheet and mark the box for income taxes instead of sales tax.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Returns that were transferred into 2018 in Dec or early January were affected The bug  was fixed several weeks ago, but for the return to recognize the fix, you need to delete the client file and re-transfer in.  OR  You have to open the state refund worksheet and mark the box for income taxes instead of sales tax.

0 Cheers
erickodish
Level 3
Thank you so much.  What a dissapointment the proseries didn't think to help all those people that had already transferred their files and thought the program was accuarte
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Long time users of the ProSeries program have learned not to transfer all clients in until closer to mid January...seems like each year there's some kind of annoying glitch that happens with early transferred returns.

I personally only transfer a client file in as they come in for their appointment, it avoids any early transfer glitches and keeps my Homebase at a manageable size, only returns "in motion" appear and I don't have to scroll up and down the list so far.  Everyone has their own system though!

0 Cheers
erickodish
Level 3
I used to do it that way but needed to pick up the extra minute between each return during the season.  I will now wait until much later to get it done all at once.  Thanks for the tip.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
:+1::+1:

0 Cheers