Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process to change a client address on an e-filed return

Level 1
last updated ‎April 22, 2020 9:34 AM

Client gave me a W-2 with a specific address that is incorrect for the reported refund. What is the process to get this address changed to the correct mailing address?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
2 Replies 2
Level 8
last updated ‎April 22, 2020 9:34 AM

If the return has been efiled and accepted, you can't change without sending an amended return or Change of Address form.    If you need to change before IRS issues a refund check ....you're SOL.

Level 15
last updated ‎April 22, 2020 9:34 AM

That's odd, all of my clients closely review the return before I e-file it.  But then again, maybe that was just a really good dream I had last night.

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.