Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing K-1s, including K-3s

nancy2
Level 5

So, a few days ago I made the huge mistake of printing to a printer the K-1s from a 1065 return.  In years past this package would have been maybe 12 pages in total for all partners.  Now, including the K-3s it is 333 pages.  And today, I have discovered why.  For each individual K-1, the program is printing 5 copies of the K-3.  For EACH partner... 5 copies of the K-3 as backup to the K-1s.  Needless to say, the K-3s are not small anyway.... each one is 18 pages each......  many pages with no information at all on them.  Is there a reason why each partner needs to get 5 copies of the K-3?  I don't recall seeing that.  

8 Comments 8
dascpa
Level 11

Yes.  ProSeries is now sponsored by HP Insta Ink program and WB Mason paper supply companies.  The more you waste, the more you spend with them.

Answer - programming problem.  Obviously you learned to print to PDF so you can print one copy.

sariscpa
Level 4

The same thing happened to me.  First of all, I always print to pdf luckily. What I ultimately started to do  was to print the K-1/K-3 for each partner separately using the "choose which forms to print" function.  This also allows me to print fed and state K-1s for each partner to one file.  It works better for me especially when there are multiple states involved.  No collating of K-1s necessary.  But I do have to print each partner separately.

On another note, does anyone have any idea when the K-3 input worksheet on the 1040 level will be available?  My software jus says "in a future version."

nancy2
Level 5

Believe me, at some point I realized there didn't seem to be an end to the print and stopped it!

0 Cheers
nancy2
Level 5

Probably 99% of the time I print to pdf also.  Just didn't make that choice this time.  But, you know, even then, I wouldn't have immediately realized what the problem was really.  I was actually today preparing an excel worksheet with the information needed only for this group.... formatting to the same format, etc.  That's when I realized it was including 5 copies of the K-3 for each partner.  

0 Cheers
KJF1031
Level 2

sariscpa,

You mentioned you are able to print both the Federal and State K-1s for each partner together. How do you do this? I have partnerships I waste hours on just printing K-1's. First have to print the K-2 and K-3 attachments separately combine and attach as an e-file attachment. 

Then I print the entire return and combine each partners Federal and State K-1's into a PDF. I have partnerships with 30+ partners and 5 states they file in so this takes an absurd amount of time. 

I use ProSeries Tax. Is this only an option with ProConnect? Can you print the Federal and State K-1s by just pressing one button and they will split them by partner in a zip file? I dont get why this is not an option in ProSeries Tax. 

0 Cheers
sariscpa
Level 4

There is not one button that will do this but there is a work around.  I also have partnerships with a lot of partners and multiple states.  Here is what I do (it's not perfect but it's better than the alternatives.) Click the print icon.  Check the federal and state boxes and then in the lower left click on "choose items to print."  From there you can expand all folders and choose the forms that pertain to just the partner you want to print.  I uncheck all and then choose the K-1s and K-1s for one partner.  Same for states.  You will have to do that for each partner.  You will end up with a file for each partner with just the K-1 forms that you choose.

kerry
Level 3

I kind of like your work around but it do not include the K1 letters.  Thanks for your help

0 Cheers
kerry
Level 3

I hear you-I have been hoping Intuit would update ProSeries which I would think it would be easier for them if the communicated with ProConnect techs!!  I think they just like to mess with all of us.  Why would they get one product that works for everyone instead of bits here and there.  It's really sad.  I guess it's all about the money and not the customers.

0 Cheers