Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Principal place of abode in the US

zevaristo19
Level 2

Hello all, so I noticed for this year, there is a new question on schedule 8812. Can someone explain what this exactly means please?

Check 'Yes' if you have a principal place of abode in the US for more than half of 2021

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
dkh
Level 15

See page 3 of F8812 instructions - residency requirement   https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040s8.pdf

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I would say check out Pub 17 Part 4 page 105

IRonMaN
Level 15

I hate it when they make these forms so complicated 

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

What does under 24 mean?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll check with the gaurd dog and get back to you.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Thanks jackdog, or Hugh.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I'll check with the gaurd dog and get back to you.

Thanks to that conversation, I can never remember how that word is supposed to be spelled.  In fact, I now often mess up MOST words with "ua" in it (or is it "au?).  Sigh.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Me, too.

Ex-AllStar
Randy77
Level 1

Line 13
Box A
Check box “A” if you (or your spouse if filing jointly) had a principal
place of abode in the United States for more than one-half of 2021.
This means your main home was in the 50 states or the District of Columbia for more than one-half of 2021. Your main home can be any
location where you regularly live. Your main home may be your
house, apartment, mobile home, shelter, temporary lodging, or other
location and doesn’t need to be the same physical location throughout
the tax year. You don’t need a permanent address. See Box B, later, if
you were a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico in 2021.
If you are temporarily away from your main home because of illness, education, business, or vacation, you are generally treated as living in your main home

abctax55
Level 15

Me three - re: 'au', 'ua'  words.  Thank god for spell check; I'm a numbers chick anyway 🙂

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
anagarwal
Level 1

Yes, this question makes no sense. What does it have to do with figuring out the child tax credit? Even if it does, the address has been already asked previously. Why not  use the term "primary residence"? Does it matter if you are owning or renting the place? 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@anagarwal The question makes perfect sense.  The requirement is codified in §24(i), which refers to §32 for the determination of principal place of abode.

No, it does not matter whether the place of abode is owned or rented.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar