Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postpone direct debits already e-filed

curt1
Level 4

With the change in this year's tax deadline, is it possible to re-schedule direct debit payments for returns that were already e-filed?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can cancel payments here, but I wouldnt go doing it before anything official is announced, just because the POTUS spouts off about it, doesnt make it real.

Cancellations, Errors and Questions:

• In the event Treasury causes an incorrect amount of funds to be withdrawn from a bank account, Treasury will return any improperly transferred funds.
  • Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.
  • If a payment is returned by your financial institution (e.g., due to insufficient funds, incorrect account information, closed account, etc.) the IRS will mail a Letter 4870 to the address we have on file for you, explaining why the payment could not be processed, and providing alternate payment options.
  • In the event your financial institution is unable to process your payment request, you will be responsible for making other payment arrangements, and for any penalties and interest incurred.
  • Contact your financial institution immediately if there is an error in the amount withdrawn.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
IRonMaN
Level 15

Not through the software.

Slava Ukraini!
curt1
Level 4

How is it done outside the software?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can try calling the IRS, but I'm not sure how much luck you will have.

Slava Ukraini!
curt1
Level 4

Understood.  You're saying it's impossible to change.  That's what I thought but seems fair to offer the same extension to those in the payment queue who filed in good faith.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did something official get announced about who or what qualifies someone for delaying payment without penalty?  I havent seen anything official.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can cancel payments here, but I wouldnt go doing it before anything official is announced, just because the POTUS spouts off about it, doesnt make it real.

Cancellations, Errors and Questions:

• In the event Treasury causes an incorrect amount of funds to be withdrawn from a bank account, Treasury will return any improperly transferred funds.
  • Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.
  • If a payment is returned by your financial institution (e.g., due to insufficient funds, incorrect account information, closed account, etc.) the IRS will mail a Letter 4870 to the address we have on file for you, explaining why the payment could not be processed, and providing alternate payment options.
  • In the event your financial institution is unable to process your payment request, you will be responsible for making other payment arrangements, and for any penalties and interest incurred.
  • Contact your financial institution immediately if there is an error in the amount withdrawn.

curt1
Level 4

Nothing official yet but news outlets are reporting so I'm expecting client questions:  https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/tax-compliance/news/21129314/irs-to-delay-tax-season?utm_source=C...

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

How can you justify delaying Payment when the Return was done on time? I haven't seen anything in the news feed about, "You don't have to Pay with the return, if you owe." I think you are confusing two different things.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
curt1
Level 4

I know what my question was and I can justify moving my scheduled payment date from 4/15 to the  the new due date.  My clients who prepare their returns early but don't schedule direct debits until 4/15 should be afforded the same right as someone who files on the due date and pays on the due date.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

And here is the answer you provide to your clients, in your comment: "as someone who files on the due date and pays on the due date."

Answer: You filed by the due date and the payment owed is also owed by that due date. Since you did not Delay in filing, your payment also is not Delayed.

curt1
Level 4

Just-Lisa-Now:  Here's an update on the advice you provided--The client I was concerned about called the IRS number you provided and got through to a human with no wait.  The IRS immediately canceled the scheduled payment.  Thank you for your help!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Let's review for Federal: There is no New Payment Date, for those who filed. There is no Delayed Filing Date, either. This is the status for now, March 16.

Everyone stated you can cancel a payment. No stated there is an authorized Delay.

Let's not mislead other peer users that might come across this topic.

0 Cheers
curt1
Level 4

qbteachmnt- please refrain from hijacking my question and misleading readers.  I was providing appreciation, feedback and kudos to Lisa for her recent helpful answer. 

Honestly, your posts were distracting.  Question answered.  Please don't comment any further. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Curt, please refrain from creating false news and rumors, as with your very first statement here:

"With the change in this year's tax deadline,"

Thanks.

0 Cheers
curt1
Level 4

Noted.  Thank you very much for all your help! 

0 Cheers