Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client makes about 150k+ and wife 50k, which pushes them over 200k; however, the software 2016, 17 & 18, provided them with an overpayment credit for SS.

pagethemann2
Level 2

My client, prior to marrying in 2016 had no SS overpayment concerns. However, filing married starting in 2016, the software automatically issues an overpayment in SS and add the overpayment to his tax returns. The IRS is pursuing collections of almost 20k for the overpayments. Has anyone had this issue with the software automatically generating an credit / refund for a client? This happened in 2016, 2017 & 2018

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
poolcleaner
Level 9

I would check the worksheet where you enter the wife's W-2 to be certain that it is not being entered as if it were the husband's W-2.  In Pro Series, you have to go all the way to the bottom of the page of the W-2 worksheet to be certain that his name has not remained there from a previous W-2.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15
Lesson to learn- mark everything as taxpayer, spouse or joint. It matters in many places.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
msmith7305
Level 7
Another lesson to be learned is that once the return looks finished, print it out and verify entries with original documents. If something appears odd, like a SS overpayment you didn't expect, figure out what happened.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Totally agree.  Always be critical of what the program produces.  Ultimately, you need to be able to explain everything on the return to your client or the tax authorities that may send your client a notice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9

I would check the worksheet where you enter the wife's W-2 to be certain that it is not being entered as if it were the husband's W-2.  In Pro Series, you have to go all the way to the bottom of the page of the W-2 worksheet to be certain that his name has not remained there from a previous W-2.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

PEBCAK, regardless of the software. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Agree with above, sounds like you assigned both W2s to one person, resulting in over payment of SS.

That little checkbox at the top of the W2 worksheet for Spouse can make a big difference!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers