Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

password security

johnea
Level 3

stop taking up my time with your security parinoid. you take up my time and time is $$$ i pay you enough $2700 , i need to take care of my business not yours. leave me alone and think up somthing else to keep you busy

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Its the IRS with the "security Paranode" not Intuit. See link for IRS requirements:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4557.pdf

BobKamman
Level 15

I get the impression from some of the posts here that two-step verification, requiring a code to be sent by phone every time the program is opened, is a default from which some users don't know how to opt out. 

Yesterday I had to open the 2017 program.  When I was forced to change my current password, it also automatically changed for the 2019 program.  But 2017 still uses the password from back then.  Of course I don't remember it but the program stored a hint that I had entered.  So I got into 2017, but then I think I also had to use the current password.  The program worked fine but it wouldn't print on my current printer, even though I changed the setting.  But it did save a pdf, which I then could print.  

I worry more about a smash-and-grab thief taking the whole computer from my office in the five minutes before police respond to an alarm.  It's easy enough to decode the encrypted files, once you have the machine.  The real concerns are how much security Intuit has for its servers, and whether IRS has any more security than the other federal government agencies that have been hacked.  

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@BobKamman Are you using ProSeries, because I am able to open all years with my current password, and I don't use  two-step verification . I do agree with you about smash and grab being more of a problem

BobKamman
Level 15

@Terry53029  Yes, ProSeries Pro.  What I worry about is when I buy a new computer and have to reinstall these past years on it.  I already have a couple of old computers stored in a closet, but now I don't remember which was used in what years.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
All my programs use the same current password as well... it seems to prompt me to change the password when I log in to prior years though, which I find weird....I can log into 2020 fine, then I open 2019 and it asks to to change the PW (this is near the 90 day PW change mark)...once I change it all years use it to open.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I got 2 "newer" computers when we had to upgrade to the 64 bit system. Fortunately, I have an IT guy who took care of it all, while I sat there and watched for 5 hours.

While I'm a tax lady, not a tech lady, it seemed to me that Intuit does not make it an easy process to switch machines. Once you download the software, that's all you have. All the other data, Client Files, EIN Database etc. are all in separate locations with instructions for each. Only the EFIN info is carried to the Set Up/Options, so you have to reenter the rest for each year. There are shortcuts, I'm sure, but I didn't know any and, of course, the IRS was ready to open the filing season.

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I have my two-step verification turned off, and, about every other day, I still get the "need to text me a code" to login .  Not sure why, but sure is bothersome.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Have you tried turning it on then turn it back off again? I had to do that with Carbonite, it stopped sending me the 2 step when I was accessing my backup files (I want that text code for this!), I had to turn it off then turn it back on, works again.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@Just-Lisa-Now-  I did that.  But I haven't turned it on, and left it on for a couple days, and then turn it off. I'll try that. Thanks.!!

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.