Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

partnership basis

terrymedo
Level 1

I am preparing a 1065 for a H&W LLC...............all revenue and expense run through their checkbook, except for their mileage deduction which is significant.  

This is my first year for this client.   On prior year return, since the mileage was an out-of-pocket expense, it was recorded as an increase to the capital account along with the deduction.

However, it was not recorded as an increase to partnership basis on the basis worksheet........I'm thinking that it should also be recorded as an increase to basis.

I'd appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

This is my first year for this client.   On prior year return, since the mileage was an out-of-pocket expense, it was recorded as an increase to the capital account along with the deduction.

So Debit Mileage Reimbursement, Credit Capital account. OK. That's fine. 

However, it was not recorded as an increase to partnership basis on the basis worksheet........I'm thinking that it should also be recorded as an increase to basis.

You would increase basis (b/c of the credit to the capital account)...but then guess what an expense does to partner's basis? You got it! It reduces basis. Sounds like a wash to me.

terrymedo
Level 1

thank you for your help.

On the prior year return, the partnership basis was reduced on the basis worksheet by the partnership taxable loss which includes the mileage deduction.

this led me to think that an offsetting increase to the basis should also be recorded to reflect the mileage expense paid out-of-pocket....which would then result in a wash 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Side notes:

Is the LLC allowed to claim mileage deduction?

Why don't they have an LLC bank account?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers