Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part year GA resident...is it figuring it correctly?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

TP has been a TX resident for over 10 years now.

TP has a rental unit in CA, so every year we file a CA NR return for the rental income....no TX return filed.

TP sold the rental September 27 2019.  Ended up with approx 115K in taxable gain from the sale.

TP moved to GA October 18 2019. 

GA is including the rental income from CA in September as part of the computation for GA tax (since it uses the federal AGI)....is that right?

So the only money she actually received while living in GA is 2 months worth of retirement/SS income and GAs seems to be excluding that.....but I guess theres no way around them using that rental gain (even though it happened before they moved to GA) in their computation since they start with the fed AGI....?

Am I missing something?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't do GA returns, but it sure sounds like you are missing something.  They shouldn't be picking up income prior to the client's move.  If the federal allocation worksheet didn't work properly, is there another sheet buried in GA somewhere to allocate income earned while a resident?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't do GA returns, but it sure sounds like you are missing something.  They shouldn't be picking up income prior to the client's move.  If the federal allocation worksheet didn't work properly, is there another sheet buried in GA somewhere to allocate income earned while a resident?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ahhhh, I found it...looks like it pulled some of the things from the part year allocation worksheet, but not all of them, I had to go in and make some adjustments...weird.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪