Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oregon Part Year Resident Filing Obligation

TX_CPA
Level 1

I have a client that moved from Texas to Oregon in mid-December 2020.  They are retired and their allocable retirement income to Oregon during their residency was $2,834; they had no Oregon State tax withholding.  Form OR-40-P ends up with a $171 tax due.

The Oregon DOR website shows a MFJ filing threshold of $4,630 of Oregon Gross Income.  Seems that they do not have to file, but it bothers me that the form calculates a tax due. Any thoughts?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
PATAX
Level 15

I am not sure of this , it is just my opinion since I am not an Oregon  tax preparer .... the tax filing threshold may apply to a full year resident, IE apply to a full-year of income. Your client is part year and the income is only for a short period Of time. Annualized this income may be over the threshold. Also I think it is always a good idea to file even if no taxes are due just to let the reporting entity know of that fact. These are all just my opinions as I am not an expert on Oregon