Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opportunity zone fund

michaeln
Level 1

where does the tax deferreal from form 8997 go on the tax return.  I did not automatically flow thru and I don't see where to put it

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

when you are deferring gain do not report the 1099-B on schedule D. Use 8949 to report, and go all way down to bottom to report you are deferring gain invested in QO fund. At top check box that you did not receive 1099-B (even if you did)

michaeln
Level 1

I can't see where I report the gain on an investment into an opportunity fund and how that flows thru  I think I filled out the 8949 and 8997 correctly, but nothing went to the return

0 Cheers
michaeln
Level 1

I filled as as you said, but nothing carried forward to Schedule D regarding the deferred gain

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When you are deferring the gain you don't use schedule D, as you are not going to pay the capital gain, but are deferring it. That is what the 8997 is for, as that is the form you and the IRS keeps track of the gain you reported that will be deferred 

stevenaftali
Level 1

I will appreciate any help re: how to get Lacerte to generate the From 8997.  In my case Form 8997 does not populate!  I entered the data for the deferral of gain to the QOF.  Lacerte computed the deferral and shows it on Form 8949 under Box F checked.  i.e., LT Transaction not reported on Form 1099-B.  With Code Z.  Elect to postpone the gain for investment in QOF.  But Lacerte still does not populate the Form 8997.  

0 Cheers
despainjd
Level 2

You also have to go to screen 91 and enter information regarding the Opportunity Fund Investment

0 Cheers