Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries not calculating child tax credit correctly. Is this a glitch?

rodrigo
Level 2

I have a client, MFJ, taxable income $182,582 itemized deductions $24,129 they have 2 children. A newborn born in 2018 and the other child born in 2011.

On the Child Tax Credit Worksheet Proseries will complete Part 1 with the newborn on line 1 with a $2,000 value and the other one on line 2 with a $500 value. Both must be on line 1 as they both are citizens and have SSNs.

I tried with other SSNs, change the relationships from Daughter to Son, changed their position on the information worksheet and still nothing. But if I change the DOB of one from 2011 to 2016, problem solved now I have 4,000 on child credits.

I'm about to remove the file and start all over but now I concerned about all my previous returns.

I can post some screenshots if need it.

Thank you.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

hmmmm.....

I was going to ask if you have the number of months down. Screen shot and lets see what you have down for dependents.

Otherwise, I'd say try from scratch. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

hmmmm.....

I was going to ask if you have the number of months down. Screen shot and lets see what you have down for dependents.

Otherwise, I'd say try from scratch. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
2011 was entered as 2001?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Ooooh good one!!!! I'd bet that one!!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Id remove the entire line (right click, delete line in table) for the child born in 2011 and reenter from scratch.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Yeah, I can't duplicate that unless I deliberately enter something wrong.  It's been sporadic in the past, but this seems to be THE year for "just delete it and reenter".  I've put that at the top of the troubleshooting list, above the usual "close the program and restart/reboot" step.
0 Cheers
rodrigo
Level 2
i deleted the line and still the same. I will create a new file and see what happens with every form maybe I missing something here.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Wow, that is wild.  Thanks for the screenshots.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Could a question in the 8867 worksheets that got marked wrong auto disqualify the CTC?   I didn't think they were directly connected....but maybe?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
That is so weird. I would say (if not a complicated client) start from scratch and see what you see.
0 Cheers
rodrigo
Level 2
I started a new file but transferred all the information from 2017 and same thing happened as soon as I just entered the first w-2 form. I'm now trying entering ALL as a new client.
0 Cheers
rodrigo
Level 2
ups found the problem TP DOB as 01/27/2015 lol one for the book thank everyone.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Hahahaah!!! Glad you found it!
0 Cheers
Linda Z
Level 1

The same thing was happening to me.  It was giving them the credit for other dependents.  After reading the respones, I realized it was because I hadn't entered the parent's birthdates yet.  As soon as I entered them, the child tax credits calculated!

0 Cheers