Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is preparer asking for IRA form 5498

ehill
Level 4

Preparer for my mother, (and last year they are going to be) is wanting the ira form 5498 to compete her tax return.  Why?

I asked what schedule and line number it is reported on that is sent to the IRS, have not gotten a response yet.

Have no idea what software they are using and do not remember them asking for the form in the past years either.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Dose she have basis in her IRA and took distributions in 2018? Did she make contributions for 2018, or for 2017 that were paid in 2018?

Any of these are good reasons to ask for the 5498.

May I ask why yiou seem to be up in arms over this?

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

Dose she have basis in her IRA and took distributions in 2018? Did she make contributions for 2018, or for 2017 that were paid in 2018?

Any of these are good reasons to ask for the 5498.

May I ask why yiou seem to be up in arms over this?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Jinx :+1::+1:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
ehill
Level 4
only distribution was the rmd, no basis at all.
0 Cheers
ehill
Level 4
Part of the reason is this company cannot file a return without extension if their life depended on it, at least that appears to be the case and has been for quite a few years.  Also she owed this year for the first time ever, but know why for that -- had to pay with the extension (no problem) except they would not answer email (the way they want to communicate) about paying electronically with their software -- the canned message was that they were so busy filing extensions that it would be several days before they could get back to me.  So did it myself and two days later they said, yes we can do that.  Duh
0 Cheers
ehill
Level 4
Just made me mad.  Never asked for it before, they have had all the paperwork since the middle of March and only after the extension was filed are they now saying that they have to have this form.  And in the process I am trying to arrange for her move from one senior living place to another, so was frustrated.  Also because now not sure I could find the form in the boxes if I wanted to and there is nothing there that would impact the return in any way.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
sounds like they're stalling for time, mom should have just sent all her stuff to you, problem solved!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

To confirm that an IRA contribution was actually made?

Why so defensive about it, if the IRA *was* made?

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
ehill
Level 4
To old to make a contribution
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

IRA contributions are reported on page one, as an adjustment to income.  Well, it *used* to be page 1....now it's Sch 1, which flows (sorta...) to page 1

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers