Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omitted alimony received on recently filed 2021 1040. Can I correct with superceding return through ProSeries? If not can I file Form 1040X electronically?

NancyT
Level 2

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You sure the alimony was reportable? The law changed back in 2019.

Superseded returns would need to be mailed in, a 1040X could be EF.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

A 1040X filed by the original due date is considered a superseding return (it's in the IRM somewhere but I'm too lazy to look it up now).  If you're going to try to efile, wait until the original return is processed first (mine was finally processed last week and my deposit scheduled for 3/2, woohoo!)

NancyT
Level 2

I certainly am sure Lisa - this was my own return! We divorced in 2015. Former husband died 9/21 and I simply forgot. Would like to correct as quickly and easily as possible.

NancyT
Level 2

Thank you, that was my understanding of a superceding return also. If I “correct” the return and efile again, I’m concerned that I will mess up the system, but I sure don’t want to mail anything. I tried doing a 1040X, but efile was not an option. Original return had a balance due and direct debit scheduled for 4/14. Now there is additional tax due. Would appreciate any suggestions!

0 Cheers