Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NYS withholdings

I seem to find that a number of the returns e-filed with NY state send notices to my clients requesting the forms with NY state withholdings to verify the taxes withheld claimed on the return. Is there something that I am not doing that causes my clients to receive this notice?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I had the issue with NJ because they're a piggyback state. Never NY.NY is an independent state and I believe they have the ability to verify withholdings directly.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

CA did this a few years ago....annoying!   They tried to tell us a miniscule percentage of taxpayers were asked for this additional data...but in my office, I had at least a dozen clients with this issue.  I was able to clear them up with a phone call and a fax to the tax practitioner hotline for the state of CA, it was a time suck that I didn't get paid for.

It's nothing you're doing or  not doing, its some kind of communication gap between the the agency that collects payroll data vs. the agency that processes income tax data.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

NJ is starting with that again.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers

Thank you for your replies. I guess I'll have to deal with this. It just takes up my time to print out the copies of the W-2s and then to fax the documents to the state. It just hit me more when this last client that got the notice questioned if I am sending the forms and she said that the prior accountant sent it with their prior years returns. This client is a new referral and just wanted to avoid them questioning my work.

0 Cheers