Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY State return

Highlighted

How do I file a NY State return (employer withheld some NY state taxes), however client never lived or worked in NY?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
6 Replies 6
Highlighted
Level 10
Level 10

To efile a NR NY return, I believe you have to register in NY (I have been told, but never filed a NY return) I think I would just do a Paper return. Maybe some one from NY can let us know for sure

Highlighted
Level 3

You need to register in NY if you are not a CPA, attorney or EA and:

• will be paid to prepare at least one New York State tax return or report in the current calendar year, and
  • were paid to prepare 10 or more New York State tax returns or reports in the previous calendar year;

or

• will be paid to prepare 10 or more New York State tax returns or reports in the current calendar year.

Highlighted
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Lauriem33, is that for efile, and could you mail it in without registering. If I had to register to efile or mail, I would just do the NY state return as a non paid preparer, and add the fee to federal  

Highlighted
Level 3

That's to register.   E file mandate applies if you use software that can e file.   E file mandate if:

• prepared at least one authorized tax document for more than 10 different taxpayers during calendar year 2019, and
  • will use tax software to prepare one or more authorized tax documents in 2020;
    or
  • were previously mandated to e-file (once you're subject to the mandate, it continues to apply to you in all following years, even if you no longer meet the threshold).
    • For example, if you were initially subject to the mandate because you prepared more than five New York State tax documents in 2011, you are still subject to the mandate.

You're responsible for determining whether you're subject to the mandate.

Occasionally I have one that won't go through for some reason and I have to paper file.  I keep proof that it won't go through in case they ask.  

Highlighted

I was aware of the registration requirement.  I am an EA - so no need to register.   I used to register before I became certified.

My question related to the fact that my client never lived/worked in NY, yet his employer withheld NY state taxes.   I cannot get the NY return to refund all of that without putting $1 in for the NY wages rather than letting the amount from the W2 flow to the return. 

Is there another workaround?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

I don't think you can e file with out at least the $1 income.  I have done this before and NY didn't give me a hard time about $1.  I think it's your only option aside from paper file

0 Cheers