Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY IT-201 calculations

Level 2

NYS IT-201 return is not calculating the federal above-the-line charitable contribution adjustment ($300.00). Line 19 shows the total wages as federal AGI and then adds the $300.00 as a NY addition to income resulting in a higher and incorrect amount.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
4 Replies 4
Level 15

Why do you believe it's wrong?  It was widely publicized that NYS decoupled with various provisions in the CARES Act.  You can refer to the instructions of IT-558 for details of the necessary adjustments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Level 15

Every once in awhile those instructions come in handy 😀

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Level 2

I'm not saying what is wrong and what is not. I know very well about the decoupling. If I have a client with total wages of 60,000.00 and after the 300.00 adjustment his federal AGI is 59,700.00, this amount from Form 1040 line 11 should transfer to line 19 Form IT-201 and THEN the 300.00 is added to bring the NYS income to the original amount of 60,000.00. How in hell is my client going to end up with a NYS income of 60,300.00? 

0 Cheers
Level 15

You didn't give those details in your initial post.  Sounds like a bug in the program.  You might want to call support to see if they are aware of it or if the fix is in for a future update.  It would be really nice if Intuit provided a list of known bugs, but I guess they would rather tie up their phone lines.

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.