Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY Form IT-2105.9 asking for prior yr. tax

Jones0223
Level 2

Hello! Hoping for guidance, I am filing NYS return and my client owes NYS tax for 2019.  Form IT-2105.9 is required to calculate the penalty for underpayment and Line 16 is asking for "Total Tax from 2018 Form IT-201 (total of lines 46 and 58) or Form IT-203 (total of lines 50 and 55)". 

My client does not have nor is she able to get her 2018 tax return from the person who previously filed it.  Is there a way to work around this?  I was going to take the total tax withheld as per her 2018 W2 and subtract her refund and use that as her "Total tax from 2018".

Any guidance on whether that would be the best way to handle this or if there is a better way is appreciated!  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dependable
Level 4

If you subtract the refund from total state and city return you probably will be correct.  No matter you will be close.  Th 2105.9 is calculating a penalty at a relatively low rate so I think you'd be fine.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
Dependable
Level 4

If you subtract the refund from total state and city return you probably will be correct.  No matter you will be close.  Th 2105.9 is calculating a penalty at a relatively low rate so I think you'd be fine.