Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I correct a return where the taxpayer has failed to take a RMD but, has already filed a return for this year?

ggoeller
Level 1

Taxpayer filled out form with financial institution in 2017 for RMD but mistakenly applied for a "one time" withdraw. After return was filed for 2018, he discovered his mistake.

How can this be corrected to hopefully avoid the 50% penalty?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

You report the distribution when received (2019). You don't "fix" 2018 because the distribution was NOT received then. 

With 2019, you complete the F 5329 with the appropriate mea culpa.  The IRS is usually very forgiving about the penalty, especially when there's proof the error has been corrected (i.e. - the delinquent distribution was taken as soon as the error was noticed.)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

You report the distribution when received (2019). You don't "fix" 2018 because the distribution was NOT received then. 

With 2019, you complete the F 5329 with the appropriate mea culpa.  The IRS is usually very forgiving about the penalty, especially when there's proof the error has been corrected (i.e. - the delinquent distribution was taken as soon as the error was noticed.)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
noticed by his diligent tax preparer who swoops in to the rescue!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I would file the 2018 Form 5329 by itself with the waiver request.  It's a 2018 penalty you're asking to be abated.