Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a place to make notes in a client file for their upcoming changes/situation in next tax year?

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

You can use Misc Stmt within forms. That will not efile over whereas Preparer notes will (not sure why as that should be reversed).

You could right click a line and add/edit notes and choose for it not to be included with return.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

As I open the manila folder with the copies of the prior returns in it, i write the must see notes on the inside left cover of the folder.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Our files are digital, but each client has a document called Notes for Next Year.

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 13

At the very bottom of Client Status Sheet is a section for Permanent Notes that transfers into next year.

Not Current Year Notes.  Permanent Notes that can be deleted and changed next year. 

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
dkh
Level 15

I use Client Status.  Like Accountant-Man pointed out - there are two areas for notes.  One that does not carry over to next year and one that carries forward indefinitely.   

You can set the options to take you to Client Status page before you save/exit the file.

Tools>Options>General - Client Status check box is near the bottom

IRonMaN
Level 15

I believe having the name “Jeff” automatically enrolls you in the Luddite Society.  I still like paper files but I have advanced from Manila folders to colored folders.  It’s easier to find the correct year down in the dungeon if you rotate colors when the files get full.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Does working through at least on tax season in the 70's qualify as a Luddite?

And I am too cheap for each year to get their own folder. I just cram 3 -5 years in one until it gets too full then the oldest get moved to the archive cabinet.

IRonMaN
Level 15

We rotate files every 2 to 3 years and then pick the new color.  We haven’t used puce yet - maybe next year.

Slava Ukraini!
poolcleaner
Level 9

You can use the little red exclamation point to make notes that you should see the next year when you go back to look at the previous year.  If that doesn't work for you, attach a note to the client's last name and that will carry from year to year until you no longer need it.  Be certain to put the date on the note the first time you do that.  Information from 2016 isn't always helpful on 2021 returns.  These are rather elementary suggestions but sometimes there is no other choice.

Another Former All Star

Accountant-Man
Level 13

Many years ago, I per-diemed for a firm whose file folders were different colors. I asked why, and he asked if I remembered the color of the various IRS paper forms for returns: White, blue, red(or pink) and yellow.

So I use color folders while preparing returns, 1040 white(manila), corps blue, trusts/estates red, and partnerships yellow. It makes them easy to distinguish.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.